News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Decorations from the collections of the Serbian museums

paja

Bulgarian Order of St. Alexander 2nd Class (Rothe)
    Bulgarian Order of Military Merit 2nd Class (Schwerdtner), 1904.
    Legion of Honor 4th Class, 1904.
    Legion of Honor, according to the catalog also 4th class (?)
    87.jpg
    88.jpg
    89.jpg
    90.jpg

• Replies 671
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generals' Visor Hat
    M1850 Sidearm of the Artillery Schools Cadets (?)
    M1861 Austrian Infantry Officers' Saber (I'm not sure where these in use in the Serbian Army and under which name, I think Montenegrin officers used it as M1867)
    M1861/1870 Serbian Infantry Officers' Saber 
    111.JPG
    112.JPG
    113.jpg
    114.jpg
    115.JPG

Edited by paja

Imperial Russian Golden saber for bravery presented to vojvoda Milan Obrenović by prince Bagration on December 21, 1809 (January 3, 1810). Milan was Miloš Obrenović's older maternal half-brother and one of five Serbs who were honored this way. The others were Karađorđe Petrović, Milenko Stojković, Petar Teodorović Dobrnjac and Hajduk-Veljko Petrović. Gramota is also preserved and it states that the saber was awarded to Milan not only for the shown bravery but also for his devotion to Russia. After 1903 it was kept in the National museum until 1915 when the occupying Austro-Hungarian forces looted almost all Serbian museums. During the war it was kept in Budapest and after the liberation it was returned together with a certain amount of stolen objects. After that it was once more kept in the National Museum until 1953 when it was given to the Military Museum but unfortunately no one knew just what it was... It took more that 4 decades for it to be "re-discovered" in 1995. This priceless piece of Serbian history is the only surviving Golden saber from the time of First Serbian Uprising.
    Information and some of the photos were found in Mr. Branko Bogdanović's article "Miloš's Saber - Pearl of the Museum" published in Politikin Magazin.
    01.JPG
    02.jpg

Edited by paja

Milan Obrenović and the portrait of Miloš with his brother's saber by Uroš Knežević from 1835.
    Miloš is wearing Order of St. Anna I Class, possibly II class with brilliants around his neck and Ottoman Nişan-ı Zişan.
    Milan, was awarded with Russian Silver Medal for Bravery and Zeal on St. Anna ribbon  (Медаль "За храбрость и усердие") on April 4, 1810. Apart from him 7 more Serbs were awarded with silver and 17 with golden medal! Unfortunately only one golden medal on St. George ribbon awarded to vojvoda Luka Lazarević is preserved and kept in the Historical Museum of Serbia. Miloš is also one of the recipients of the same decoration.05.JPG
    04.JPG

Edited by paja

• 2 weeks later...

Serbian generals' pickelhaube M1873, full dress uniform.
    Two of them are kept at the Belgrade Military Museum, one belonged to Milojko Lešjanin, the other one to Kosta Protić.
    By the way pickelhaube was first introduced in Serbia in 1847.
    Unfortunately the image is very small, I'll try finding better ones. 
    01.JPG

Nice photo of decorations from the Historical Archives of Belgrade found on naseblago.rs.
    Order of Freedom and Order of the War Banner belonged to Konstantin Popović while Yugoslav Star 1st Class belonged to Dragoslav Marković. 
    00.jpg

Edited by paja

9 hours ago, paja said:

Nice photo of decorations from the Historical Archives of Belgrade found on naseblago.rs.
    Order of Freedom and Order of the War Banner belonged to Konstantin Popović while Yugoslav Star 1st Class belonged to Dragoslav Marković. 
    00.jpg

Very nice photo! 

5 hours ago, BalkanCollector said:

Very nice photo! 

Just in case you didn't notice before, I posted a lot of photos of decorations kept at the Historical Archives of Belgrade in this topic, pages 10-13. Some found on their website, others taken on exhibition.

Edited by paja

3 hours ago, paul wood said:

By the look Milan's face in the photo he didn't seem too comfortable in the Pickelhaube. He certainly looks totally fed up.

Paul

Paul, maybe that's his "tough guy" look :)
    The photo should be from 1878, if I'm not mistaken he's wearing Persian Order of the Lion and the Sun (below Leopold).
    00.jpg

Yes Radmilo I agree, I am 90% certain the bottom decoration is the Lion and Sun. It could also be he's looking like this because it is about the eighth exposure and there is some nice wine waiting for him when he finishes.

Paul