News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Perhaps some helpful tips for beginners

Given the minefield of fakes, etc. in the hobby, I thought it would be good for seasoned vets to share some advice for buying. So here's two from me:

1. Join a forum and buy by word of mouth and reputable dealers.

2. Some really good guys are selling on Ebay but be very very careful.

1. I've always beleived that most militaria shows (ones held in halls and sportsplexes etc) sell the real deal. There are exceptions when someone really beleives he or she has the proper period authenetic piece but a buyer has to be careful and know what they want. If for example I want to buy a Order of Glory 1st class, I'll try to research as much as possible, ask people who own one to send me pics so I can spot fakes and try to receive as much assistance from people who know the Order. I won't go to the Militaria show and buy an Order of Lenin because its a great price and I'm willing to risk it. If its the real deal, sometimes vendors will reserve the order in question for purchase later and will even arrange to meet with you afterwords in a couple days or weeks to sell the award.

Then I'll ask around on the forum and see if it looks legit and purchase if its right.

2. This is continuing from the first question but it is important, know what you want. Don't change your opinion on something or chage to a diffrent order (or orders, since I never go into a Militaria show with 1 option on the table)

3. If it feels wrong or the vendor is dis-interested in helping you, and is border line rude, don't buy at their table. I'll sometimes pay $10 bucks extra if the guy on the opposite table is a good guy (ie if I know them and have had dealings with them in the past, or if they seem to care more about it) I don't want to purchase at people's tables who flip me off when I ask for a discount on an overpriced award, your buying the seller and his product, I know that some sellers think their price is really good, but the market fluctuates and I don't like it when people react negatively to a query from a buyer.

You can attract a bear easier with honey than you can with salt.

The seller is normal and curteous to me (chats me up about the award, the history etc) or even explains why he is selling it at this price (extras are thrown in, documents, excellent conidition etc) all make me want to purchase more than this common reaction:

"What are you talking about! Your robbing me!!! Go to another table!"

The only time I won't skip on buying from a rude seller is if its an award I've been looking for a long long long time and I know I won't be able to get it anywhere else.

4. This is the most important one, You have to give respect and be courteous to earn respect. Nothing beats a impolite buyer, no seller will want to deal with you if you arn't respectful to them and their merchandise, calling out fakes in front of their faces, really rubbing in how expensive something is, not a good strategy for a buyer. A lot of the sellers are selling a part of their collection to fund something biger, or dearer to their hearts. A lot of guys want their orders and medals to go to good homes where they know it'll be appreciated.

Thats the kind of buyer I always strive to be, respectful and I'll point out things to the seller which I think they won't find offensive, but I won't push it, I like to treat people as if I was the one selling or buying.

These ended up being more tips on behavior than anything else about fakes, but thats my 2 cents :D

Very sound advice and very true-well written Rogi.

I gave up attending shows in western Canada for Soviet stuff. Mostly TR, TR,TR, British, Canadian and some American items. Even in the mall flea markets, some granny could have two tables full of china and dollies but within the piles, there would be something TR. Sure looking at these from a historical perspective is ok, but when you want to buy Soviet stuff, these venues are a waste of time. Now in regards to the small amount of Soviet items there, they are WAY overpriced. Word has gotten out that "there's money in Soviet stuff" and the items are priced ridiculously high. One thing though, most being sold are labour or veteran medals

Very sound advice and very true-well written Rogi.

I gave up attending shows in western Canada for Soviet stuff. Mostly TR, TR,TR, British, Canadian and some American items. Even in the mall flea markets, some granny could have two tables full of china and dollies but within the piles, there would be something TR. Sure looking at these from a historical perspective is ok, but when you want to buy Soviet stuff, these venues are a waste of time. Now in regards to the small amount of Soviet items there, they are WAY overpriced. Word has gotten out that "there's money in Soviet stuff" and the items are priced ridiculously high. One thing though, most being sold are labour or veteran medals

Thank you Aurelius :)

We used to have one guy that came down to our show here when I was a kid, he had an amazing assortment of stuff, if you were looking for something in specific in soviet or communist bloc countries. :) He was a tad over priced but it seemed legit (its where I got my Order of the Patriotic War 2nd Class from) the only thing that really was "bad" if there was anything about him, was if there was a document (booklet) with the specific award, he really overpriced the set, enough so you could get 3 orders of that same type without the booklet.

But without paperwork and in really nice condition, the price was ok for an Order(this was just as Ebay was hitting off) From what I've seen and heard from friends this, years show will predominatley be German stuff, but I'll go anyway, if theres something Soviet or Yugo. I'm game for it :) even if its a tad expensive (just not over expensive) I'll be focusing on the Order of the Red Star, Order of Glory, Order of St. Sava and some other awards from Yugoslavia/Serbia that are easy to come by, so it should be good, there was always a lot of Yugo. and Serb and Croat. medals and militaria in the show.

Sometimes they end up hiding the soviet stuff, so you have to ask the vendor directly "Do you have any Soviet/Russian/Yugo/Serb/Croat medals" its hard to come by, but they usually end up displaying what sells and then throwing out some other stuff or just a small portion of stuff at the end. If there are no Russian orders or comunist bloc stuff this time round I'd be really dissapointed and probobly just stick to the net. So far I've been lucky at the shows. :) Its just that I understand a lot of the vendors, not a lot of people would want to buy soviet awards, and those who do, end up sticking to 1 table that has it all pretty much :D so not a lot of other vendors can compete.

Its hard to find stuff you like, but I wouldn't mind picking up another Oder of the Great Patriotic war again from that guy, if he still deals in Russian and Soviet Militaria, who knows maybe he does have that booklet for my order in his "spares" pile.

Edited by Rogi

I,too, asked the vendors here whether they had Soviet stuff-crashed and burned except for pins. :banger::banger: lol

Regardless, a very good tip on asking the vendors about the possibility of them selling Soviet items.

I,too, asked the vendors here whether they had Soviet stuff-crashed and burned except for pins. :banger::banger: lol

Regardless, a very good tip on asking the vendors about the possibility of them selling Soviet items.

Now I'm worried about the upcoming show hehehe :D but I'll guess I'll see in time (its been at least 7-8 years since my last show) hopefully theres something out there that peaks the interest :) I'd even setlle for a cool poster or two :)