News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French medal ?

Iver

This is a very widely used pattern. It could be practically anything, official or not. The width of this particular one might be a lead 27mm ? 33mm ? 40mm ? more ?

A hallmark is probably to be found on the side with a cornocupea + BRONZE or ARGENT (Paris Mint).

This being said, it is certainly french. DUPUIS's signature should appear somewhere on the obverse

Edited by Veteran

This is interesting. A 27mm medal with a date could well be one of the so-called President of the Republic Medal of honor wich would have lost its ring.ly

I unfortunately don't know how to add a picture of this on an answer.

To be honest, I would rather be told how to add the picture to this post. It would benefit a larger number of members as well as it would inform you. And I would gain a wee bit of extra know-how for myself that I evidently need !;

Nothing personnal about this, of course.

Thank you very much Chris. I had just missed the right button and I feel much better anwering on the post

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_03_2013/post-2990-0-76916900-1362600212.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_03_2013/post-2990-0-98289300-1362600110.jpg

This is a silver medal with the appropriate ribbon.

Known in France as "Medaille d'honneur du Ministere des Affaires etrangères" it has been awarded both for services to France by non-french persons and by the French President on the occasions of State visits. In this case it is also known as "Medaille d'honneur du President de la Republique" and the reverse usually bears the year of the visit, such as yours or the one I am showing.

Four levels of the medal have been used : bronze, silver, silver-gilt ("vermeil") and gold (in gold).

Il has been awarded since the 1860s probably, certainly since 1880; A military branch was created in 1917 to be given to military personnels, particularly to Allied troups who saved lives of French citizens. Ir is also awarded to military recipients during State visits.

Not a rare award but it does not turn up all that often.

I hope this helps.

Best regards

Veteran

Edited by Veteran

Hi Veteran. Many thanks for that answer. I have bought some austro-hungarian medals (as I am collecting them) and there was also this piece, so its good to know what I have..

• 1 year later...

Iver

This medal (probably 30 / 40 mm diameter) is an all purpose token of appreciation presented on behalf of the Senators of the "Department" (one of the 92 administrative districts in metropolitan France). The departement of MEUSE is in Eastern France, the main cities being Bar-le-Duc and VERDUN.

Such "awards" were currently in use during the IIIrd Republic (1875-1940) when local aurhorities organised sporting, cultural or other local events They were available in bronze, silvered or gilted bronze. In other words, local politics at work.

Best regards

Veteran

Edited by Veteran