News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello,

Can anyone point me inti the direction of the where to find information on the following units (periode 1900 towards 1918) / all units are eitehr W?rttemberg or Prussian related (iff this is of importance :unsure: ).

* Pioniere der 26. Reserve-Division

* Vermessungs-Abteilung (L)

* Landwehr-Pionier-Kompanie 1

Thanks in advance, hopefully there are not that much such units arround and you guys are able to provide me with some traces.

Cordial greetings + thanks for looking,

Hello,

Can anyone point me inti the direction of the where to find information on the following units (periode 1900 towards 1918) / all units are eitehr W?rttemberg or Prussian related (iff this is of importance :unsure: ).

* Pioniere der 26. Reserve-Division

* Vermessungs-Abteilung (L)

* Landwehr-Pionier-Kompanie 1

Thanks in advance, hopefully there are not that much such units arround and you guys are able to provide me with some traces.

Cordial greetings + thanks for looking,

Stijn,

Without having direct access to my books, I can only help with an overview of 26. Reserve-Divison for the time being.

I assume Vermessungs-Abteilung (L) was an instructional survey unit (Lehr), but I'll check when I get home.

Landwehr-Pionier-Kompanie 1 might refer to 1. Landwehr-Pionier-Kompanie I, which was assigned to 83. Infanterie-Division, but I suspect the unit designation might be incomplete as there were potentially many Pionier units with that as part of their name. Do you have any other details or context?

David

Edited by David Gregory

Hello,

Thank you Gregory for the already very helpfull ifnormation, much appreciated.

Do you know iff in the named source books about the 26 "W?rttembergische" Reserve Division names off officers from these Pioneer Btl. are named?

I am looking after a Hauptmann Schmidt (he did hold this grade during the end of 1916)

Mayby loss listst or others?

Cordial greetings,

Edited by Stijn David

Hello,

Thank you Gregory for the already very helpfull ifnormation, much appreciated.

Do you know iff in the named source books about the 26 "W?rttembergische" Reserve Division names off officers from these Pioneer Btl. are named?

I am looking after a Hauptmann Schmidt (he did hold this grade during the end of 1916)

Mayby loss listst or others?

Cordial greetings,

Stijn,

Unfortunately, the 26 RD book I have contains no names of officers killed in action. Glenn J may be able to help you if you are looking for a specific officer killed during the war.

It would seem that you are looking for an officer who probably served with 4. or 6. Kompagnie of Pionier-Bataillon Nr. 13. A history of the batallion will almost certainly tell you more.

I can't find anything specific on Vermessungs-Abteilung (L). I initially thought it might be an instructional unit for artillery sound or light ranging (Schall- und Lichtmesstrupps), but the word Vermessung refers to survey and mapping work. Vermessungs-Abteilungen were responsible for all field survey work, such as the compilation of overview and detail maps, and the provision and modification of maps. Vermessungs-Abteilungen were assigned to each army from 1915 and also included a group of geologists, a trigonometry troop, a stereogram troop, a printing shop and a mapping section. The geologists attached to the Vermessungs-Abteilungen provided advice on the construction of fortifications and mining work, water supply and drainage, which would tie in with the work done by Pionier units.

David

Hello,

Thank you David for the very usefull help, can anyone check iff a Hauptmann Schmidt was reported as either wounded, missing or killed in action iff any other info on this officer (seems he was the commander of a Pioneer Btl. 13) at some point.

Cordial greetings,

• 4 years later...

Hello Stijn,

I hope my reply doesn't come too late:

The Vermessungs-Abteilung (L) is unique. Abteilung in its name means department and not battalion. It is one of two departments remaining from the Preußische Landesaufnahme (general staff mapping and surveying organization) when the latter was dissolved on mobilization 1914. Their task was mainly to administer the surveying instruments of the Pr. Landesaufnahme. (The other department was the Kartographische Abteilung. Their task was to print and distribute maps.) These two departments belonged to the Stellvertretender Generalstab (rear general staff) in Berlin and existed until 1917 when the Landesaufnahme was re-established.

Winfried

Edited by Historyfan