News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Chief of Artillery- Order of the Great Patriotic War 2nd class.

Big thanks to Auke (Ferdinand on the forum) for ordering the research on my Order of the Patriotic War 2nd class and translating. This is the one I've had since childhood at my first militaria convention :D I'm so happy that its finally gotten researched and I know who the order was awarded to and a bit of history about it. I'm still waiting on Auke's debut album everyones been telling me about :D:)

I cleaned the award a bit with water on the center enamel, since it had a bit of gunk on it. I avoided the tarnish (since I like the tarnish just the way it is, adds a bit of character. If you guys want anything else posted/removed from the award sheet, please let me know :) The only issue I have with the research is now I have to track down his Order of the Patriotic War 1st class (serial: 241726) Would you guys mind checking for it in your collections ;)

Heres the award sheet info and a pic of the award I took after cleaning

I guess he did a great job under fire, it is a very interesting citation I'm assuming it was awarded while on the Leningrad front? If theres any info. or historical significance to his units or of Mr. Nikolayev himself, would you mind sharing, I've currently started searching for some other history behind the unit etc

Award sheet

1. Last name, first name and patronymic: Nikolayev, Aleksei Osipovich

2. Rank: Lieutenant-Technician

3. Position and unit: Chief of the artillery workshop of the 126th Kingisepp Cannon Artillery Regiment of the Reserve of the High Command

Nominated for: Order of the Patriotic War, 2nd Class

4. Year of birth: 1911

5. Nationality: Russian

6. Party affiliation: Candidate member of the Communist Party since April 1944

7. Participation in the Civil War and the subsequent combat actions to defend the USSR (where and when): Since October 20, 1942 on the Leningrad Front

8. Wounds and contusions received during the Patriotic War: No

9. Since when in the Red Army: Since January 24, 1942

10. Drafted by which military commissariat: Military Commissariat of the Rybinsk Raion, Yaroslavl Oblast

11. Awards received previously (for which merits): Medal for the Defense of Leningrad on July 10, 1943

12. Permanent home address (of the prospective awardee or his family): ______________

Short, concrete description of his combat feat or merits:

Serving as chief of the regimental artillery workshop, Lieutenant-Technician Nikolayev throughout the fighting displayed bravery, initiative, and skill. On August 5, 1944, when the 9th Batterys firing positions were being bombed, a cannon was put out of action because of shrapnel damage resulting from a nearby bomb explosion. Upon arriving at the firing position, Lieutenant-Technician Nikolayev decided to carry out repairs on the spot. Despite repeated enemy air raids and systematic enemy artillery fire, Lieutenant-Technician Nikolayev did not leave the firing position as long as the cannon was out of commission.

On August 17, 1944, when the firing position of the 2nd Battery was being shelled, the springs of the balancing mechanism were damaged by shrapnel from a shell that exploded close by. It was impossible to fire the cannon. Lieutenant-Technician Nikolayev worked for four hours repairing the damage without giving up, despite the artillery bombardment. Thanks to the well-established duties of the artillery workshop, the regiments materiel worked smoothly throughout the period of combat operations.

For his skill and the bravery he displayed while carrying out combat missions, Lieutenant-Technician Nikolayev is being nominated for the Order of the Patriotic War, 2nd Class.

Commander of the 126th Kingisepp Cannon Artillery Regiment of the Reserve of the High Command

Colonel [signed] /Shevchenko/

September 4, 1944

DSCN7039_zpsefc3375f.jpg

Was just thinking about something, I read over his OPW 1 and it seems the artillery workshop was active in combat repairing in the field, something similar to this citation (or Lt. Aleksai was just that devoted to his job to go out in the field), do you guys know how normal this was for a Officer to be doing this? (attached to an workshop) or was this something different because of the Leningrad front. I'm used to seeing repair work always done behind the lines where its safe, unless it was a temporary repair on items in the field.