News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Who is the " Maker - Master " of this Imperial Russian Order ?

avsaribar

I can't tell if this is a block MM with straight crossbars (for want of a better word) or a block MM with a V-shaped crossbars. If the latter, could it be Mikael Mikaelov Murii? My reference is very rudimentary but that may be a possibility.

Good luck, and please let us know.

Chuck

Hello Chuck ,

Thanks a lot but , may i kindly ask you to be more clear ,

1- i am sorry but i do not understand what you mean by straight crossbars and V shaped cross bars ?

2- Am i right about the period of made ?

Best Wishes ,

Avs

Good Morning Avs

I knew I should have done a better job with this, or maybe just not have said anything. I apologize. Please remember, I don't claim any expertise in makers' marks. I may be embarrassingly wrong about this but heck, I've been embarrassed before.

The stamped MM (if that's what it is) above the large oval/56 is the maker's mark, right? Not the bust and 56. If so, what appears to me to be an MM above the large oval/56 would be the maker's mark. I can't see it clearly because of the glare and it's not what you focused on, but that's what it looks like to me. It certainly could be something else.

I think of a classic M as two vertical lines with a V-shaped line connecting them at the top. However, there are stylized versions of all the letters and I thought a stylized version might just be a straight bar between the vertical lines, looking sort of like a Latin HH. However, I can't find such a mark in my (partially destroyed) reference book.

So, believing it to be a rather formal, standard MM maker's mark, I found the maker I mentioned. I couldn't find a (Cyrillic) NN makers mark. The only similar MM mark was mid-19th century so I eliminated it from consideration.

My book doesn't have a period for this maker, only a year - 1898. That puts it close to your time frame. If I'm reading the reference correctly, he was an assistant to Danilovski.

Good luck with your research. You can do much better than me.

Chuck

Hello Dear Chuck ,

Thank you very much for your kind help and information .

Now i have another question , so this MM , our guy , does he make Imperial Russian Orders ?

I mean can we count him between the Imperial Russian order Masters such as IK , WK , AK , EDUARD ..?

All the best ,

Good Morning Again

THAT was fast.

I don't know much more than what I wrote except this:

• Our MM has a note after his mark and name that says дер. Даниловское.
    • The 56 proof mark is early 20th century, so that is consistent with your time frame.
    • The MM is in a rectangular stamp, rather than an oval, and that is also consistent with our MM.
    • My book notes that he was from Kostroma. That may have some small significance as Kostroma was a favorite place of the Romanovs, including Nicholas II. There must have been a lot of fine jewelers/makers in Kostroma back then. The only city with more pages devoted to it in my reference is Moscow.

I'm sorry, but that's all I've got. A maker of orders, but maybe not a master, although he is listed in the Masters category in my book.

I wish you the best outcome with your research.

Kindest regards,

Chuck