News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I remember that years ago, on WAF, Rick had a thread "It's not easy being green" on a ribbon bar with a plain green ribbon.

The problem was that plain green can stand for a number of awards, from Brunswick Life Saving Medal, to Persian Sun and Lion Order and Swedish Vasa Order.

Now I have a similar lapel bow with a green award in last place:

This is obviously a pre-WW1 lapel bow, the awards being:

1) Red Eagle Order (or Medal??)

2) China Medal (probably in Steel for stay-at-home)

3) 1897 Centenary (thus active military or Beamter in 1897, since not a veteran)

4) Albert Order (or Honor Cross??)

5) Brunswick Henry the Lion Order (or Merit Cross??)

6) GREEN!

No. 6 would make sense as the Brunswick Life Saving Medal, but also as a foreign (Persian? Swedish?) order in last place.

No long service award. A reserve officer maybe, and/or civil servant?

Edited by webr55

Perhaps an Italian St. Maurice and Lazarus? Or a saxon dutchy long service award? I think lifesaving awards had pride of place in front of any other peacetime ones. Its probably something foreign in last place.

Edited by redeagleorder

I think we can rule out the Saxon awards, LS or others, as this must have been a Prussian. Naval Beamter maybe?

Mauritius/Lazarus is another possibility. And yes, the life saving medals went before other peacetime ones.

I also wonder if the small piece of ribbon that ties the entire thing together is of any significance, as it seems to be white with brown stripes. Looks strange.

Edited by webr55

I haven't seen many German Aziz recipients, but yes, it's a theoretical possibility. To me, a naval Beamter seems most probable, with the China Medal. The green ribbon could then be a Vasa Order.

• 4 months later...
    Guest Rick Research

Unfortunately not, since this could be an officer level Beamter or an NCO level Beamter.

Not hopeless, but more probably a matter of luck than persistent dogged sleepless rooting!

The GOOD thing is, that this is SUCH a unique combination there should be no need to continue making sure there wasn't another "suspect" once ONE turns up. Can't imagine that being possible.

I also wonder if the small piece of ribbon that ties the entire thing together is of any significance, as it seems to be white with brown stripes. Looks strange.

This piece of ribbon is most likely the Prussian Red Eagle Order. ;)

A very nice bow. It will be hard to determine what the green ribbon is for.

Best wishes

Matt

Guest Rick Research

No, not the front "bow tie" (which could also be the General Decoration Medal--same ribbon as the REO), the upright binding ribbon. That looks like one of the Hanoverian /Kurhessen 1913 Jubilee Medals-- I hadn't noticed the slightly dull mustard color before.

I don't think it can actually have been one of those--the recipients were usually quite ancient.

Guest Rick Research

Here is one of the 1913 Jubilees, on Oberstleutnant Carl Groschupf's medal bar--

the CORRECT ribbon--as here--has that very distinctive "mustard brown" tint to it. But they are often found on "close enough" Red Eagle ribbon, because who would have stocked the 1913 outside areas where the old veterans lived?

I do not think that is what is on the bow. Oh, the binding ribbon CERTAINLY is-- but I think that was meant as Red Eagle/General Decoration and... nobody noticed until 2013, did they? :o:cheeky:

I´m right now working on a list for Germans with Wasa Order , but as always it takes a lot of time , I have maybe a copule of hundred so far but the work goes on ;) I will everyone know when I have a decent list to present

Probably it will be impossible to find any suspects but you never know , stranger things have happend

Christer