News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi,

there is not a lot than can be said... seems to be locals taking over the quartermaster... I think more of a smile than rolling on the floor joke. Also think it is meant to be GEA and not GSWA as there are more palms there. Also had Askari which they did not in GSWA.

Best

Chris

IU'm not sure that it is supposed to be anywhere so

I'm not sure that it is meant to be anywhere specific other than somewhere in German Africa and obviously produced by someone who had never been anywhere near Africa, sand, palm trees and cactus and also the Africans are of various physiques which would cover the gamut of Africa. It is the typical colonial poking fun at the simple natives done by all European colonial powers. As humour very reminiscent of cartoons in Le Rire of about this period, with very little subtellty involved.

Paul

Okay, you guys share the prize! .

My friend Hannes Taeger posted this elsewhere...

"O.k., I will follow your invitation - or is it a challenge? - and risk my way on the treacherous path of dealing with non-PC colonial ashtays.
    Montirungskammer = Montierungskammer = Bekleidungskammer = chamber of military clothes and equipment.
    What happens? We are anywhere in Africa or rather on a German Pacific Island before 1914. The white officer is looking at his black soldiers who just got their equipment. It looks like the officer had to get a seat under the palm trees for or after his observations. Indeed, it is hard to bring civilization or military order to natives - hard for both sides. One black man is too tall, another man too fett for the uniform, a third man makes exercises with the new pants, others are lacking pants but have boots. From the German military´s point of view a kind of nightmare if one want´s to turn the natives into real soldiers.
    So, the ashtray tries to illustrate in a funny way imagined or real difficulties which the German colonial masters met when they tried to create troops of natives in their colonies."