French ? Commander's Cross

Linasl

Greetings all.

I have an opportunity to buy an interesting commander's cross here in France. I though do not know if it is French or of another origin. Please take a look at the photo. If there is any information you can provide, I would be grateful.

Thank you. Linas

Interesting acquisition.

Often described as Médaille associative du Mouvement de Résistance "Combat", reportedly an award of one of the biggest WW II French Resistance groups' veterans' organizations. Apparently a typical French-style 5 class decoration, earlier pieces [1950s-70s?] usually enameled both sides. Beside actual veterans, membership criteria can include those who materially assisted the organization, financial supporters and perhaps veterans of post-WW II Algerian and Indo-Chinese expeditions. Insignia made in Belgium at one time [Fisch]. Often ribbon has a narrow central black stripe, significance unknown. Internet likely has more information on the movement: Some French collector sites offer a bit more information on insignia.

Edited by 922F

You're most welcome! If you wish to collect all 5 classes, online dealers or auctions sometimes offer this award, often as 'unknown medal' or 'Monaco decoration'. Knight & Officer insignia are relatively easy to locate but the stars are, as one would expect, hard to find. Grand Officers' distinctions are an officer's breast badge + star and Grand Crosses a star, badge [same size as commander] & sash.

Edited by 922F