News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown French 'Sacred Heart' Commander's Medal

Linasl

Greetings all.

I have another commander's cross I bought in France. It was simply titled 'sacre couer', or sacred heart.

I have no information on this, so anything you can offer to help identify this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. Linas

Most probably a detached Sacred Heart suspension from a royal Portugese Order. Note especially what may be a hook at the bottom reverse for securing a pendant. Usually about 25-30mm diameter.

Greetings again.

I just did a search of all Portuguese orders and medals, current and extinct. I found nothing that resembes this commander's cross. Any other ideas?

Thanks. Linas

Hello Paul,

I have done as thorough a Google search as possible on Portuguese and even Papal orders, and I came up with nothing that looks like the 'sacred heart' of this commander's cross.

Am I missing something? Please help steer me in the right direction, if you can.

Thanks. Linas

Linasl, you probaby are searching Republican [post 1910] Portugese orders' insignia images.

http://coins-la-galerie-numismatique.com/orders-medals/order-christ-275 offers an image of a royal [pre-1910] Order of Christ miniature knight badge with a Sacred Heart suspension. Here is a royal Avis Order commander with one----http://www.faleristica.org/?attachment_id=1234. I refer to web images as I cannot seem to post them. Neck badge & Grand Cross Sacred Heart suspensions are about 25-30mm diameter; knight & officer insignia have 10 to 20 mm diameter Sacred Heart suspensions.

Sometimes royal badges had crown suspensions and sometimes Sacred Heart suspensions; stars, except for Villa Vicosa, usually display a Sacred Heart. Note the Heart on the royal Christ star on the 2nd web-page header.

Edited by 922F