News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

researching rhodesia general service medals

Guest pikemedals

Guest pikemedals

after reading two books on the rhodesian bush war.i started to buy rhodesia general service medals.now can i find out the regiment they was in. my lasted one i got off ebay as named as 93316 pte.c.gray.and when i see them named to a constable i take it he was in the BSAP is that right please let me know many thanks paul

Guest pikemedals

thanks peter am getting hook on rhodesian medals. they are so cheap it a shame how you can pick them up for about 15 pounds on ebay

Always a good place to begin a collection - stuff no one else appreciates. You'll either wind up being a trend setter or be able to keep collecting them cheaply forever. A 'win-win', as they say! ;)

Years ago I acquired some Indian Army [pre-'47] medals and badges because I thought they were cool and nobody else would touch them. "Unresearchable' was the conventional wisdom then. Sold off the last badges last year for a nice bit of doss. Now, Indian stuff, especially the early stuff is very collectable, and not just the Gurkha stuff either.

Keep it up!

Peter

Paul - they are a nicely made medal and were given for Service to the Country - mainly servicemen and police. This was only for the

period of UDI (Unilateral Declaration of Independence) 1965 - 1980. They were also given to the Africans serving Rhodesia.

I usually have them in the shop for around Rands 200 - which is about 15 pounds. I have two with basic papers for the Army - drop me

an IM if of any interest.

Peter is right when he says getting in early with a collecting field is always good. Whilst this is the most common of the Rhodesian medals

it is still fairly low in numbers - give it time and Rhodesia will come back as very collectable. Mervyn

Hi Mervyn, I agree that the RGSM is underrated at the moment although as soon as you start talking Selous Scouts or Rhodesian SAS it becomes a bit of a different matter.

Also the Rhodesian's were very sparing with their decorations and lately they seem to be doing very well, if they come onto the market e.g. Silver Cross of Rhodesia, Police Conspicuous Gallantry Cross and so on. Apart from those where there is some published information / pre research already done I would suspect that it is nearly impossible to research under current circumstances. (hopefully I am wrong)

Cheers

Gavin

Gavin - the most important point to remember is that their are a lot of fakes being made - mainly for the higher awards. Also, with the

original 1890's medals - be particularly aware that the original dies were stolen from the museum. I will not buy any 1896 unless it is

in a group - or, has provenance. Mervyn

• 5 months later...

Hi Paul

I have a friend by the name of Craig Fourie who co authored two book on the Rhodesian military, in my opinion he is the world expert on the RhGSM and I belive has the largest collection of them worldwide. He can be contacted via email at craig.fourie(AT)swedishmatch.co.za

Cheers

Garth

• 5 years later...
    On 03/10/2013 at 04:25, Rhodesian Badges said:

Hi Paul

I have a friend by the name of Craig Fourie who co authored two book on the Rhodesian military, in my opinion he is the world expert on the RhGSM and I belive has the largest collection of them worldwide. He can be contacted via email at craig.fourie(AT)swedishmatch.co.za

Cheers

Garth

He has the largest KIA RhGSM collection.

On 14/04/2013 at 22:06, Mervyn Mitton said:

Gavin - the most important point to remember is that their are a lot of fakes being made - mainly for the higher awards. Also, with the

original 1890's medals - be particularly aware that the original dies were stolen from the museum. I will not buy any 1896 unless it is

in a group - or, has provenance. Mervyn

Never seen a fake Rhodesian award that I couldn't tell was fake including the stamping. I had a good teacher.