News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I recently purchased this book illustration dated 1898 that has the title 'A sharp look out' - It shows Metropolitan Police Constable 128.W (Clapham) looking around the corner of a brick wall while smoking a clay pipe.

It always makes me smile - Is he on the look out for street crime or the Duty Sergeant while he is having a crafty smoke.

I'm in the process of getting it framed and it would be great if anyone can put a name to the constable.

On 10/07/1899 a PC Edward J Thomas retired - his Warrant Number was 58017 but more importantly his Divisional Number was 128W. He had joined the force on 06/07/1874.

Given the date of the book I think it is highly probable that this is your man, particularly as I can't find anyone else serving just before that date with that Divisional Number.

The Discharge Register shows PC Thomas got a Class 2 Certificate (Very Good) so clearly his Sergeant didn't catch him smoking very often.

Incidentally they didn't waste much time as on the same day they re-allocated his number (128W) to a new recruit - PC Frederick Meyer-Dixon.

It would be great if you could post a large size image of the picture.

Edited by Odin Mk 3

Fantastic -Thanks Odin - I'm sure you have found my man !!! - It's brilliant you have the ability to trace such old Met Divisional numbers. Now I'm looking forward to doing a bit more digging on him - I will post what else I find. I notice that that the attestation register shows him first posted to G Division in 1874. I will try again with the image but it is small and loses a lot of definition when I try and enlarge it.

Thanks again

Alex

• 3 weeks later...

Edward James Thomas was born in 1853 at Newbury in Berkshire, the son of a Great Western Railway porter. Between 1881 and 1891 he lived in Croydon and Clapham (both on W Division) with his wife Arabella and four children, Jeannie, Edward, Alberta and Kathleen. In 1899 he retired as a constable in the Metropolitan Police and returned to Berkshire where he lived in the village of Kintbury situated between Newbury & Hungerford. In 1911 aged 58 he was still living with Arabella and youngest daughter Kathleen who was by now a school teacher.

The life of a Victorian Metropolitan police constable re discovered after the chance purchase of an old book page!!!

• 6 years later...