News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A Model 1905 SD cap with RMP cap badge with cypher of King George VI.

The cap seems OK to me, but as far as I know this type used very long period by the RMP.

But I'm not sure with the badge...

I would be happy for any additional informations!

Edited by Markgraf

It certainly is the cap of Royal Military police before 1953 and with the EIIR badge replacing the GVIR badge it continued in use until 1968. Normally, it would have been worn with a red cover as in the image of this one in my collection.

One of my favourite bits about the RMP occurs in a novel by Gavin Lyall, a British spy novel writer. A civilian, speaking to a British Army major says something like

"...Military Police. I believes you call them 'Red Caps'." To which the response is "No, mostly we call them 'those f***ing MPs'."

It had a real ring of authenticity to it! :whistle:

• 7 years later...

I see this is an old thread but I just came across it whilst looking for something else as I am much more a reader here than a poster (only double digits in about ten years!!!)

However, I just had to comment on the cap badge which is possibly the worst fake I have ever seen posing as a real one!!!

The chinstrap too is at best a pretty modern one. The correct issued type for these hats came in a light tan colour and was made brown with dark brown polish vigourously "bulled" into it. I Believe this type is a modern version still issued to the Household Cavalry and a couple of other units still using these caps.

The cap itself looks good and probably from about WWII up to 1960's in date.

Before anyone says "how do you know with such a low post count"? I served 24 years regular army most of which was with RMP and I wore one of these hats in Northern Ireland in the '70s. Plus I have been a collector of British cap badges etc since about 1973 so I have seen a few. :-)

Regards

Mark

PS I'll go back under my rock now!

• 3 weeks later...
    On 21/09/2020 at 13:36, peter monahan said:

No need to go into hiding.  All comments, if politely phrased, can be useful and it sounds as if your credentials entitle you to an opinion on thios one.  :)

Thank you I appreciate it.

The correct chinstrap is the one in the post by Ironduke although it would never be worn (for long) in that colour as the heavy application of dark brown polish would see to that! These caps were actually worn by RMP until 1974 (not 1968) when replaced by the red beret (the publicity blurb said "In order to fit long redcaps into short cars" coinciding with the introduction of "saloon" cars in lieu of Landrovers for garrison policing) however, they did hang around in use in Northern Ireland for a while longer. Oh and the red "duster" was required to have creases pressed into it. not always the same in every unit but generally if memory serves it was 12 either side of the centre. That was fun when you were knackered and just wanted to chill out!

Regards

Mark

• 2 years later...

I have also just come across these posts and read the comments about the 'Red Caps' with interest. 

I was a VT from the infantry and served in 180 Pro Coy RMP from 74 to 76, based at Aldergrove. I too wore the SD cap until mid 75 when we changed to our bright red beret. I loved my SD cap but like most hated putting the creases into the red cotton cap cover, but boy, did it look good when done and I was and am still proud to have worn one. My cap badge was, I'm also proud to say, was a brass RMP badge, not staybright.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

I'm afraid this is yet another very late reply from a long-time member and first-time poster. If it helps anyone out there, here is an original CMP cap dated 1937. It illustrates many of the features mentioned above, including the red cover, heavily polished chinstrap and a correct badge and buttons.

The last image shows how it might have been worn on duty in Egypt or the Middle East early in WW2. Sorry about the lighting - it was way too sunny but it suited the subject at the time.

Matthew

DSCN3507.jpg

DSCN3510.jpg

DSCN3525.jpg

DSCN3474.jpg

• 1 month later...
    • 5 weeks later...

Here we are gentlemen. I've just found one of my pics of me wearing my SD Cap in Belfast late 74, early 75, just before we swapped to our 'Red' berets. My cap badge was a brass badge, not 'Staybright', complete with our obligatory 'Red' cover with 7 creases each side of centre. All ironed in of course. Ahhhhh...... memories.

20220903_203359.jpg

Edited by Pilgrim-22
    To add photo.

• 2 months later...
    On 12/04/2023 at 09:19, Alex K said:

Just for fun,my ERII, cap, I assume a dress versionIMG_20230412_091435.thumb.jpg.8c38e0bd2bfc0c75078e309d18ed5205.jpgIMG_20230412_091414.thumb.jpg.1a082178e53fc27b8e05dc1c9ab10850.jpgIMG_20230412_091240.thumb.jpg.d6a3982a61e6f0ea82da73841c400ab3.jpg

IMG_20230412_091319.jpg

Here's another very overdue comment. Yes that cap could be considered a "dress" item as it (still) is worn with the No1 Dress (Blues) ceremonial uniform but also the No2 Dress (Khaki) which until recent years was worn as a duty order

On 11/05/2023 at 17:16, Pilgrim-22 said:

Here we are gentlemen. I've just found one of my pics of me wearing my SD Cap in Belfast late 74, early 75, just before we swapped to our 'Red' berets. My cap badge was a brass badge, not 'Staybright', complete with our obligatory 'Red' cover with 7 creases each side of centre. All ironed in of course. Ahhhhh...... memories.

20220903_203359.jpg

I remember that well. Very early flak jacket (some of the first were actually ex-US of Vietnam vintage) and the red cravat worn at a time when both First and Second Regiments of RMP were in NI. if memory serves it was 2RMP who wore the cravat (I know I didn't and I was 1RMP). They eventually ended up in Berlin whilst 1RMP remained in Lisburn until final withdrawal.

• 4 weeks later...

You are more than welcome Christian. Most of us have lots and lots of memories. Mostly good, some we'd rather forget, but sadly, they will remain with us as well. However, I believe most of us are proud to have served no matter what the circumstances. All part of the rich tapestry of life, as they say.

• 3 weeks later...
    On 28/08/2023 at 16:33, Christian1962 said:

Gentlemen,

I am not a collector of british items, but I enjoyed this thread as far. I enjoyed the pics and the memories of the men, who served with the RMP. Thank you all!

Christian

Me too.. 

🍻