News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Figures...

Jim Baker

Nice figs Mark, I started out with D & D etc. Thanks for the link To be honest I hadn't really thought about selling it though I have gotten rid of nearly all the other models-they take up to much space and with small children it can only end in heart ache.

Will try and post some images of 20mm figures in the next couple of days.

Very nice figures indeed, Marc!

Would these be considered Science-fiction or rather "medieval-fantastic" (or whatever the right name might be in english; anyway, see what I mean?) ?

I have the feeling that science-fiction would rather be more like Star Wars kind of figures.

Anyway, have seen some of these on a couple of wargames (traditional but also all the kind of other more recent "medieval-fantasy" games) clubs. Yours are really very nice, great job!

I used to play traditional boardgames (with mapboards or eventually mapsheets and the units represented in those carboard pieces), mostly on WWII, you may know those Avalon Hill classics (my favorites being those impulse system ones, such as "Turning Point: Stalingrad", my #1 favorite ever), unfortunatelly for lack of time, lack of local opponents and different interests (such as collecting Medals :D ) I haven't played anymore for quite some time. Not that I don't miss the feeling, but that's life :blush:

Keep up the good work!

Best,

Dolf

Edited by Dolf

Jim

If techniques is what you are interested in then I would suggest that you talk someone into doing a "Work Bench" session. You know, step by step progress with photos and a breif write up explaining the finer points. If popular you could expand it to include the other areas of Military Modelling. Personally I would love to see someone like Stephen Lawson do this with one of his aircraft. Or, I think I remember a thread somewhere that you are no slouch at doing armour kits. That would be interesting too........

Mark

I think that is a really good suggestion. I am currently planning a 20mm scale model of a Flak Tower, which is one of my interests at the moment. It is an ambitious project and will take some time so perhaps people might be interested in seeing it. Additionally, I hope over the next week to take some better images of my figures and tanks etc. It would be interesting to hear what others think??

Dolf

My apologies for not responding to your earlier post. You caught me as I was leaving for the SOS show and I only returned yesterday afternoon. Thank you for your compliments about my figures. Perhaps "science fiction" is too generalized for these figures. Maybe Fantasy would be a better fit. Here is another of them whatever you call its.

[attachmentid=28848]

I too played a lot of board games growing up. We used to have marathon games of Diplomacy and Risk that would last for weekends at a time. I learned basic flying skills playing Dogfight, and spent a lot of time playing the Avalon Hill games Midway, Jutland and Panzer. The closest I find to these today are some of the PC games - Panzer General for one.

Stephen

I am curious about the Flak Towers you plan - why 20mm? It seems like you would have a better selection of figures and accessories in 25mm.

Mark

Dolf

My apologies for not responding to your earlier post. You caught me as I was leaving for the SOS show and I only returned yesterday afternoon. Thank you for your compliments about my figures. Perhaps "science fiction" is too generalized for these figures. Maybe Fantasy would be a better fit. Here is another of them whatever you call its.

I too played a lot of board games growing up. We used to have marathon games of Diplomacy and Risk that would last for weekends at a time. I learned basic flying skills playing Dogfight, and spent a lot of time playing the Avalon Hill games Midway, Jutland and Panzer. The closest I find to these today are some of the PC games - Panzer General for one.

Mark

Mark,

No problem, not in a rush anyway :cheers:

How was the SOS show by the way? You guys are really lucky to have all those shows in the US, we have nothing of the kind here :(

I guess Heroic Fantasy would be the right name for those figures. This one reminds me of some of the orcs or so in an old real time stategy PC game, Warcraft. Great job!

I have the AH Diplomacy game but never played it :blush: But I played Civilization/Advanced Civilization quite a lot.

Played a lot of B 17, Patton's Best, Raid on St. Nazaire (solitaire games), Turning Point:Stalingrad, Breakout:Normandy, Thunder at Cassino and a bit of Storm over Arnhem (all these area-impulse system games), then a lot of Hitler's War (my 1st boardgame) and some Air Force, Afrika Korps, Anzio, The Russian Campaign, Russian Front, Flat Top (among the classics), some History of the World, Battle of the Bulge, Mustangs...

Played quite a lot of PC games too, but these rather from every type, from footbal to car racing, to startegy games, but mostly FPS, some of the last ones I played were quite attractive as the action takes place on WWII, Medal of Honor and Call of Duty :P

Keep up the good work, these figures are indeed amazing and very well done! :beer:

Dolf

Dolf

I had mixed feelings on the SOS. It was the largest military show I have been to to date. It had just about anything and everything you could ask for. However, I felt that it was no where as good as the early MAX shows used to be. The dishonesty of some of the dealers is just a real turn off to me. I had dealers telling me that fake badges were prototypes, badly made up TR tunics were legit, fakes daggers as being brought home by the vet who lived next door, etc. Not all of the dealers, just some who I guess are out to make a quick buck. I collected TR army tunics for about 10 years, and in all that time I think I only saw 1 legit Gebirg Generals tunic. I think I counted 4 fake ones at this show. The other problem is that the prices were outrageous. I am not sure who is going to be able to afford to collect anything anymore if things keep going this way. Yes, it is lucky to have such shows to go to but I understand why a lot of people shy away from them and cultivate reputable source to collect from. The money I spent on car rental, gas and hotel could have been better spent on something for my collection.

Just my two cents worth.

Mark

Mark,

Exactly why I don't do shows, and as you said, have a few reputable guys I buy from. I quit TR altogether because of reasons you stated.

Back to models... I have several 1/72 armor kits to do, but have not built in a while due to work, kids, etc... I plan to get back into it soon, and even my wife is encouraging me to get back at it. I want to do a few kits to get my skills back up to snuff, then work on my Revell 1/72 U-boot. I also want to do the 1/72 Gato Class US sub when it comes out.

I work with Steve Lawson and will run the idea of a work bench build by him. His aircraft are really outstanding when seen in the flesh. He is also quite an authority on WWII German flyers.

PS - A few of my little beasts:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3833

Jim

Excellent work! That was the thread I remembered seeing with your armour. While I do not feel that my photographic skills or talent are worthy I would be happy to contribute what I could to a "Work Bench" program on figures. Just name the era and I will do the rest!

Mark

[Jim and mark,

As previously mentioned I would be delighted and happy to take part in the work bench project. Though my creations err on the side of wargames stuff, I still hope that there would be enough to attract and interest people. Certainly the forum has re energised my focus and enthusiasm for such projects and the Flak tower which has been sitting on the stocks for over a year may get the hours it deserves.

Hi Guys,

I think both your projects would be fun.

I'd be interested in the painting aspect of small figures. I don't think it would matter too much about what type of figure, but I do WWII myself and work almost entirely in 1/72 scale. If you looked at my models, you probably noticed no figures. I'd like to remedy that and add some "life" to my work.

I think the flak tower would be cool, and you're right, it will be BIG when completed. Any kind of scratch building project would I think be appreciated by the readers.

Jim

Let me look around and see what I can find. Do you have a preference for nationality? There are a lot of WW2 figures I can do, but they will be 28mm which will be slightly larger than the 1/72nd you are used to.

Mark

Jim,

Then it shall be done. I would also be interested in seeing some 28mm figures WWII, in particular, As with the buildings I have found that one has a little licence when it comes to camouflage etc. The few 28mm WWII figures I have painted were not, from my point of view very satisfactory, Neat Tricks for SS pea camo etc which worked very well in 20mm failed dismally in 20mm So I would be keen to see learn some techniques that work.

• 4 weeks later...