News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Col. J.B. Gordon CSA (120mm Scale)

ColinRF

Here is my 99% finished 120mm Warriors’ portrait of Colonel (later General) John B. Gordon as he may have appeared as Colonel of the 8th Alabama at the Battle of Sharpsburg (or as the Union called it – Antietam) on September 17, 1862. Gordon stands thinking of the day to come at the commencement of battle, an engagement in which he would suffer five gunshot wounds (two to his leg, one to his arm, one to the shoulder, and one to his face). The sculpture is clearly inspired by a limited edition print by noted (or perhaps notorious) civil war artist Don Troiani. The Warriors figure was withdrawn from circulation when Troiani threatened legal action for breach of copyright – he objected to the conversion of his 2D idea into a 3D model for someone else’s financial benefit. I can see his point but I think he was wrong. I will add some green to the base next week and I just realized that I missed his sword grip. I need to check hm over for other missed stuff but he is basically done. The model is painted in various acrylics, combined with significant use of water based inks. Photos are in natural light and the contrast is a little harsh.

Colin

Great. Don visits here. Should I expect a lawsuit? :unsure: Just kidding.....I just painted it Don!

Point of clarificaiton - except for the boots no dry brushing was done here. Each layer of highlighting and shading is a thinned layer of acrylic paint of appropriate hue....plus glazes of acrylic inks. Takes a long time.

Glad you like it.

Cheers

Colin

fantastic work indeed!!!

Do you do commission work?

Hi Chris - Haven't really done commission work....at least not to date. I have sold completed pieces to collectors and have had offers on not for sale pieces. Also I have done pieces as gifts for friends, so never say never. If anyone has something in mind, flip me a note and we will see what we can do. :whistle:

Cheers

Colin

Colin - a superb piece - very impressive.

Spasm is just doing one of his helmets as a prize for our June competition. The next major comp. after this will be the October

Photo Competition - our third. Perhaps you could be tempted to do something as a top prize ? I'm sure you would get good

exposure to the public and Members ? Mervyn

I'll have to think on that Mervyn. I don't complete many given the numebr of hours that go inot each and they tend to get scooped by my wife and 5 kids as hierlooms. I think I need formal Board of Directors' approval to sell anyting, let alone donate it. :-) Thanks for the kind comments.

Colin

Great idea but I don't think I possess that much nerve. Also I don't want to upset him in a public place by showing my portrait of him looking less than happy with life in 1994. I'll probably just shake his paw if I get a chance.

Colin

Thanks....its not as hard as it looks. Just muck in, have an idea what you want it to look like and join an encouraging site like planetfigure where you will get lots of encouragement and advice :-)

Colin