News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Early British ribbon bars constructions - please show yours!

All very instructive. It does sound typically military to have issued a regulation in 1879 for something which had been going on since the 1830s! ;) These were, after all, the same authorities who kept horsed cavalry hanging around behind the trench lines in France and Flanders for years, waiting for the mythical 'big break out'.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is one post 1918 slightly smaller, heavy construction two row ribbon bar to the medical personell. Second row is purely foreign stuff - I think first one is Danish award, then Belgium, France and the last one I don't know yet.

222877497fedfb_l.jpg

A CdV portrait of Prince Edward of Saxe Coburg (1823-1902) as Major-General and Commander of the Brigade of Guards, dating from about 1870.

On this scarce picture he is wearing his medal ribbons.

A CdV portrait, dating around 1870, of a Colonel Alexander wearing his medal ribbons, alas it is not possible to define which (in the middle possibly the Mutiny Medal).

Edited by Odulf

another nice Africa/boar war and ww1 bar!it was missing the 2nd ribbon so i added it to it with a repo ribbon(can be taken off at any time so please excuse the terrible stitching!!!!!) but looks great any way!! ;)

This I picked up decades ago is to General Sir Francis Seymour, Bart. K.C.B. Scots Fusilier Guards

Order of the Bath, Crimea, Officer Legion of Honour, Saxe-Ernestine House Order, Turkish Crimea, Turkish Order of the Mejidiie

General Sir Francis Seymour, 1st Baronet, GCB (2 August 1813, Lisburn, County Down – 10 July 1890, Kensington Palace, London) was a British Army officer and courtier.

Seymour was the eldest son of Henry Augustus Seymour (1771–1847) and his wife, Margaret (died 1867). In 1834, he was commissioned as an ensign in the 19th Regiment of Foot and promoted to lieutenant in 1837. At the request of Leopold I of Belgium, Seymour accompanied Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha on the latter's visit to Italy in the winter of 1838–1839. Upon Albert's marriage to Queen Victoria in 1840, Seymour became his Groom-in-Waiting, an office he continued as such after Albert's death in 1861, to Victoria until 1876, when he became an Extra Groom-in-Waiting.

In 1840, Seymour was promoted to captain and exchanged to the Scots Fusiliers Guards in 1842. In 1854, he served with the Guards in the Crimean War and was present at the battles of Alma, Balaclava and Inkerman. He was wounded at Inkerman and also later at the Siege of Sevastopol. In 1854, he was brevetted colonel and appointed a Companion of the Order of the Bath in 1857, having also received the Legion d'honneur (fourth class) and the Medjidie (fourth class).

Promoted to major in 1858, lieutenant-colonel in 1863 and major-general in 1864, Seymour was made a barnet in 1869 and went on to command the troops in Malta from 1872 to 1874. He was promoted to lieutenant-general in 1873, colonel of the 11th (North Devonshire) Regiment of Foot in 1874, Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath in 1875 and general in 1877. He was also appointed Master of the Ceremonies in 1876 and sometime appointed a Knight Grand Cross of the Saxe-ERnestine House Order. He retired in 1881 after being promoted to a Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath that year.

On 25 August 1869, Seymour had married Agnes Austin, the eldest daughter of Rev. H. D. Wickham of Horsington, Somerset and they had three daughters and one son, Albert Victor Francis Seymour, who was born when Seymour was 74 years old and later served as a Page of Honour to Queen Victoria. Seymour died at Kensington Palace in 1890 and his baronetcy was inherited by his two year old son.

Edited by azyeoman

that is a LOVELY bar!but now noor,s seen it your in trouble! ;) iv not seen a as early bar with so many forgin awards on it!

I'm going to keep it as he was recommended for a VC and it's the closest I'll ever get to getting one of those. ; ) I also like the fact that Queen Victoria's eyes most certainly saw this very ribbon bar from time to time.

Edited by azyeoman

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I just bought these ribbon bars and the upper one looks to me as a bar from the senior officer sew-in ribbon bar set (lower ribbon from the set). I think only one missing upper ribbon is possible to confirm for a sure based on the ribbons on this bar - British War medal. Meantime the upper one was probably similar length, so there was probably as well 1914/15 Star and some British orders/gallantry awards. I can't see any traces of MID on the VM ribbon.
    Regards the lower row combination and massive array or foreign awards, I was thinking is it possible to ID the owner of the bar. Combination should be unique and most of these awards should be listed on the LG?
    Does the book "Honour the recipients of foreign awards" (by Michael Maton) has some lists in regards the following awards or should I start checking LG entries?

Awards on this ribbon looks like are following:

- Victory Medal
    - St.Stanislaus order (Russia)
    - The order of the Crown, Officer class (Belgium)
    - Legion of Honour order, Officer class (France)
    - Croix de Guerre (Belgium)

Because two orders are officer's class, I am thinking that the owner was holding rank Captain/Major? Because Croix de Guerre, surely saw some service in the Western Front.

Any ideas guys?

Regards,

Timo aka Noor

22463545d76600_o.jpg

Edited by Noor

I'm thinking someone in a liason role, possibly with diplomatic connections/service? The best array of foreign gongs I've ever seen, years ago now, was to the senior station master at the London railway station where the boat trains from the Continent pulled in -Waterloo Station? He had about ten [lowest class] orders from every foreign head of state who'd come through during his 20+ years of service. And, I think, 1 or 2 British medals from army service. Stunning array of bling but 'nobody you'd know'. ;)

To track this one down, you'll need to look for all the awards of each foreign medal - in the Gazette, as you say - and look for the man/men who appear one each list. You've a bit of reading ahead of you! :o Good luck!