News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 122
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

White tunic belonging to U-390 Kommandant ObLtzS Heinz Geissler. Lt Geissler was KIA July 5, 1944 when his boat was sunk in the English Channel. I purchased this from Michel several years ago, so you KNOW it's the real thing.

White tunic belonging to U-390 Kommandant ObLtzS Heinz Geissler. Lt Geissler was KIA July 5, 1944 when his boat was sunk in the English Channel. I purchased this from Michel several years ago, so you KNOW it's the real thing.

Hello!

Very nice in good shape.Thanks for showing. :jumping::jumping:

All the best :beer:

Nesredep

• 2 months later...

I finally found several photos of U-390 Kommandant Oblt. Heinz Geissler for sale on eBay and managed to purchase a couple of them. So here are two shots of the man who once wore the white tunic which I now own.

Edited by Erik Krogh

• 9 months later...

Early model white tunic and trousers attributed to Korvettenkapit?n and Oakleaves winner Georg Lassen. The tunic has shoulderboards for a Leutnant, the rank Lassen held from January 1938 until January 1939. I purchased the uniform as well as a greatcoat and EKI also attributed to Lassen from the same seller, who had a number of pieces (all appeared to be good period pieces) attributed to Lassen. Although I do not have any deep provenance for these pieces, I find only one "Lassen" listed in Lohmann/Hildebrand's "Die Deutsche Kriegsmarine 1939-1945".

Here's the tunic

Greatcoat attributed to Lassen with Korvettenkapit?n shoulder boards. The size on the greatcoat corresponds to the tunic size, i.e. only a slender man could wear this greatcoat. It won't fit on one of my two mannequins and is too long for the mannequin with the Lassen tunic.

Edited by Erik Krogh

• 1 month later...

post-1328-1207675054.jpg

The jacket shown is not a final pattern denim. A number of details are missing. Battledress have a pronounced notch in the collars where the collar stand (which also holds the collar hooks) is located. The blouse shown is missing this entire piece.

If you take the image into photo shop and play with the brightness and contrast, you'll see that texture has quite a sheen (suggesting possibly leather) and that the waistbelt is very short and held across by a large button.

Also, as I've noted in a separate thread, the designation of M40 for this style is incorrect. The plain pockets (no pleats) did not come into use until 1942 with most not being issued until 1943 or later. To be completely accurate (but using modern collectors terms), the denims were P39 (brown/pleated pockets), P40 (green/pleated pockets), and P42 (green/unpleated pockets).

I've always been extremely skeptical over whether Kriegsmarine actually captured any stocks of the green, pleated-pocket denims. Issued items would bear an acceptance stamp consisting of a letter surmounting a W /I\ D with a number below. The letter designates the year of acceptance onto inventory while the manufacturers label indicates time of manufacture. Often there are lags of months to years between manufacture and acceptance.

Edited by SprogCollector

• 1 month later...
    • 4 weeks later...