News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

US Campaign Medal Spanish American War 1898

Evening

Latest addition

US Campaign medal for Spanish American War

Number on rim "No. 3534"

Can any one advise me on how to find who the recipient was for this medal.

Also has anyone got a contact for a new ribbon

I would like to put on a replacement ribbon but intend to keep the original.

What are the thoughts of others - should I replace the ribbon?

I got this medal with a mixed lot of items here in New Zealand. The seller had no information on where they got the medal from.

If I have the original recipients name it may be possible to do further research on how the medal came to be in New Zealand

Regards from New Zealand

Les

Issued25 June 1908 to Private Thomas Leonard, Company F, 3rd Infantry.

The re-ribboning debate will go on forever. However, this ribbon is not going to heal and get better. I'd reribbon it and keep the original ribbon with the medal.

There are a number of places to get "replacement" ribbons - about any lengths. You could try the online medal companies: Vangaurd, Graco, Medal of America, etc. If your a member of Orders and Medals Society of America OMSA - they have a ribbon bank. I don't think you need to be a member. Try email: J Royston [royston@mscomm.com]. I have gotten ribbon from him and he is very reasonable. Cheers George

Jeff - Thanks for the recipients name and unit. Much appreciated - 3rd Infantry would that be 3rd United States Infantry Regiment ? I'm looking at seeing if I can source his military records if possible.

George - Also thanks for contacts for supply of ribbon. I could only find one supplier on the net so far and for 4 1/2 inches the price was US $ 22. The ribbon was noted as being original ribbon so I'm not sure if that's a realistic price.

Question I now have is what's the best way to treat verdigris. There is a patch on the observe. I carefully removed some of it with a soften wet tooth pick. There's still a satin has anyone any ideas on how this could be treated?

Regards from New Zealand

Edited by Les Anderson

I have found that Apple cider vinegar works (just don't leave it in too long - over night etc.). If real bad - you can also add some baking soda (chemical reaction) that really works. If the replacement ribbon is really original probably not a bad price - but I don't think so, go with john Royston. George

Edited by army historian