News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I have today obtained an 1887 Bar 1897 Jubilee medal accompanied by a 1902 Coronation medal to PC A. Bragg. The dealer states that this man served in four Divisions during his service and died young. I am in the embryonic stage in Met. Police collecting and would be grateful for any research that may be about regarding this man or a pointer on where to look.

Thanks

Peter

Think this is your man - Pc Arthur Bragg - warrant number 69494 - joined the Met 23/06/1864 & posted to C Division - entitled to 1887 Jubilee medal with 1897 bar & 1902 Coronation medal while serving at Greenwich R Division - pensioned 27/06/1910 on B Division Chelsea (Westminster).

Not much more I can add I'm afraid - when he left his Divisional Number (on his collar) was 313B

Page from the Discharge Register attached (got a Class 1 Certificate either excellent or very good - initially it meant excellent but then they started using Exem or Exemplary as well on a few entries)

That's not a problem - this is definitely PC Arthur Bragg - Warrant Number 69494. There are no other suitable candidates for this pair of medals.

Bragg definitely started in C Div (St James'), I know he was in R Div before 1897 and that he went to B Div before he retired.

When I was producing the book I found I had gaps for some men - in Bragg's case I wasn't 100% sure exactly where he was serving in 1887 (hence why the R Div is shown in italics for his 1887 entry).

Thanks to you sighting the actual medals you have confirmed he was actually serving in E Div (Holborn) when he earned his 1887 Medal.

I will add a correction to my list which will ultimately be published on my website.

Glad I was able to clarify the Division. I have been able to trace a little information on Arthur Bragg, he was born in Tendring, Essex, c 1863/4 and during his early years lived in the districts of Andleigh and Thorp. He died aged just 47 in 1911.

Thanks for your help,