News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bn. Bombing Officer 2nd Tyneside Irish July 1, 1916

ColinRF

Here is my completed Stormtroopers Exclusive Series 1/9 bust of a Lieutenant and battalion bombing officer of the 2nd Tyneside Irish (25th Service Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers) on July 1, 1916 – the First Day of the Somme. This unit was brigaded with three other Tyneside Irish battalions as part of the 34th Division, which suffered enormously on July 1.

The bust is called “Zero Hour,” signifying 7:30 AM, the time when about 60,000 British infantry left their trenches and went over the top to start the worst single day in British military history. The Tynesiders left their trenches almost a mile behind the British front line and had to advance a great distance towards their objectives at La Boisselle and Contalmaison. They were forced to advance at the walk in the open and under constant German MG fire. A famous photo of the attack shows men marching with sloped arms and in some cases smoking.

The model’s watch hands have been painted to show the time as 7:30. That fits the look on the officer's face, a mix of tension and a fear.

Colin

Very nice work, as usual :beer: I love the way you shade the bust't

850 Newfounlanders clambered out of their trenches - a mile or so behind the front lines as well - on that day at Beaumont Hamel, only 69 answered roll call the following morning.........

Looking forward to your next installment

:cheers:

Larry

Thanks again for the interest.

This is cool. I posted my bust in the arts section of Great War Forum and one of the expert Tynesider members came back with this....he's even holding brown leather gloves!!!! Spooky as I doubt the sculptor accessed this photo..

"Hi,

Actually it is not a bad likeness to the actual bombing Officer of 2/TI.

The war diary records that on the 10th of February 1916 Second Lt Pantin and 15 OR's rejoined the battalion from a bombing course.

Second Lt Pantin is seated second right on the ground No 37 on the photo, the moustache is very close, don't know if he smoked a pipe. He was wounded 1/7/16 promoted Lt 2/7/16, Captain 21/8/17 transferred to Royal Air Force.

Hope this is of use to you.
    regards
    John"

I cannot over-emphasise how valuable GWF is to anyone wth an interest in the Great War.

Colin

• 3 months later...
    • 1 month later...

Hi Boris. I usually sculpt my own but I liked this commercial bust and decided to paint it as it came out of the box. Really an enjoyable painting excercise. When I posted it on Greeat War Forum, one of the experts there posted the photo of the real 25th NF bombing officer at that time. I think its just a coincidence that they look similar as I do not think that the Russian sculptor had seen the photo. But you are right, the stresss of being in the trenches and of thee upcoming attack can explain the additional 10 years aging.

Thankyou for commenting.

Colin