News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

campaign hat confusion

I recently purchased this campaign hat at an estate sale. The woman told me it was from the mexican american war and included a photo of a soldier wearing a similar hat. Can anyone tell me if this really is a mexican american war hat or is it from another era ?

I have had hats directly from estates from WWI (1916 era hats being the same) with varying rows of stitching, or no stitching at all, there seems to be no rhyme or reason, especially when private purchase material is added into the mix. I find that nearly all WWI era campaign hats, excepting some Stetson makes, have a pebbled sweatband like this. Most 20's versions do not. There may be a depot stamp on the back of the sweatband but they do tend to fall out pretty easily...check it carefully?