Golden Kite 1 and 2

dark379

Finally i have the Golden kite set 1st class and 2nd with original box, but only the sash is repro. :lol:

Your dreams come true pretty quick ;)

No wonder ...

Now we know who won these auctions and got his 1st class Kite for less than 18 k's :whistle:

Breast star came from this auction http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIVE-JAPANESE-MEDALS-/200856850646?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D3908713423158817387%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D200856850646%26

Sash badge came from this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-WWII-Japanese-Enamel-Medal-Order-of-the-Golden-Kite-/380629662732?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item589f4bbc0c#ht_562wt_1141

And the box came from april JapanYahoo auction (I bet the clasp is still broken :whistle:)

Did I miss anything? :lol:

Congrats! :beer:

Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

Your patience and persistence certainly paid off and it is great to see a complete set.

It's like assembling a vintage Spitfire from different parts. The end result is just beautiful.

Haha you got it perfectly Mr. Nick, your like a detective of medals :ninja: and Thank you also.... i have fix the broken clasp already, by replacing it came from a repro box also...to avoid accidentally open the box (fall out all the medals :speechless1: ) and to have more safety in the medals.

Thank you also Drclaw and welcome too. your right need patience and persistence, it is really nice to see a set of it in a box. :lol:

:cheers: who want some beer :lol:

:beer:

Haha you got it perfectly Mr. Nick, your like a detective of medals :ninja:

:lol:

Cool set! :cheers:

Sash badge and breast star perfectly match ;)

Only the box is worrying me ...

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by JapanX

Here is some details of the box... what do you think??? :unsure:

some stain inside the box and the metal have some corrosion.....

in the lock can see the old one and the replacement that i have made

Edited by dark379

Unfortunately I think this is replica :(

Although somebody tried very hard to mimic the meiji box script (I wonder why they chose the meiji epoch... ) and artificially aged the box.

But the script still looks wrong (and inscription itself - there is one excess hieroglyph that shouldn't be on the cover of the meiji box)

Paulownia leaf also looks wrong ...

Same goes to the interior material (color and texture).

Yes, but it looks like these were made by hand...

Maybe what we have here are just consequences of this handicraft?

I am afraid its not the case ...

All boxes for two higher classes of kites that I saw (from 1895-1905 period of time) had very similar style ...

Take a look at these additional examples ;)

Now let`s examine these kanji under the numeral ;)

As we know ealier boxes for golden kites (in all classes!) have four kanji under the numeral and later (Showa epoch) have five kanji.

Take a look at this gallery

Earlier/Later