News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ethiopia - Military College Medal

oamotme

Gentlemen,

Recently obtained - a silvered base metal (bronze?) medal weighing about 18 grammes, 35mm x 25mm approx.

The obverse reads in Amharic and French "Haile Selassie Military College" - in the centre possibly the badge of the college.

I have yet to get a translation of the reverse eight line inscription.

The ribbon on this piece is the traditional Ethiopian tricolour, but I have seen examples with a white and red or green and gold ribbon.

From a search of the internet this medal appears to have been instituted to commemorate the opening of the college in 1960 - to be confirmed.

I have no evidence to suggest it was an offical award - it was not worn by Haile Selassie.

Regards,

Owain

There is an active Harar Military Academy Association in the USA and to a lesser extent, London. they have alumni lists. This medal is on the cover of the Alumni booklet and I believe is a commemorative or graduation medal. It may be pretty easy to locate alumni in the DC area who can positively identify this.

Edited by Ulsterman

Good morning from Riyadh,

Thanks - there is www.hararacademy.org and this interesting site gives a good history of the Academy, 1957-77, but no mention of a medal. A note to the website contact may elicit a response. I will drop a line later today and see what response I get. The logo of the site appears to be different from the medal.

From elsewhere, I attach a close up of the badge on a graduation certificate from the academy, which is similar to the medal.

Regards, Owain

The book I have was published in 2001, well put together at Kinkos I should say. The US on-line alumni directory has come up since then and is interesting more for what it omits rather than what it often says. For example, the Harrar association makes a concerted effort in its meetings/presentations to dodge the Derg era and who did what to whom. BUT, I am always left wondering at an entire class as being listed as merely " deceased" and most seemingly dying of undisclosed causes in the 1970s .

I would LOVE to get interviews with some of these guys, but they are VERY reserved. It reminds me a lot of my Dad's encounters with Wehrmacht veterans in the early 1960s.

there is another Ethiopian Patriots group in The DC area and they seem to be more forthcoming with information, especially about the Eritrean, Somali and Italian wars.

good Luck!

The Ethiopian Crown Council may also know.

Edited by Ulsterman