News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

These Super Rarities in Gold

JapanX

• Replies 51
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nick I work at the Metropolitan Museum Of Art! Come for a visit

Jareth,

How came this Museum to these items?

I'm just curious - Museum of Art - I would had expect a Museum of History, etc.?

Do you have further Japanese related items? Are they presented in a show case of just stored in the deposit?

BR, Chris

Jareth,

Are they presented in a show case of just stored in the deposits

Of course they are stored in the deposits ...

Who needs them when there are "Rembrandt's" all over the place ;)

Nick,

Im not a nitpicker. Especially about this rarity, it doesnt make a big difference for a man in the street, if 10 or 18 golden medals be circulating. :blush:

But itll be interested to know your sources. I have the figures from the (Japanese) source:

MINISTRY OF FINANCE (edit.) (15 March 1974): Hundred years of history of the mint, page 379.

BR, Chris

Chris, do you have the page number right? My copy of the same book has nothing about that medal. In fact, page 379 is about the post-war Mint.

Chris, do you have the page number right? My copy of the same book has nothing about that medal. In fact, page 379 is about the post-war Mint.

Checked again, source said:

“[…]製造数は金18個、銀2,251.“

Source: 大蔵省造幣局編 『造幣局百年史(資料編)』 大蔵省造幣局、昭和49315, p. 379.

Checked again, source said:

“[…]製造数は金18個、銀2,251.“

Source: 大蔵省造幣局編 『造幣局百年史(資料編)』 大蔵省造幣局、昭和49315, p. 379.

Oh, I see. You used the supplemental volume. I don't have that--looks like it may have some more good info.

Jareth,

How came this Museum to these items?

I'm just curious - Museum of Art - I would had expect a Museum of History, etc.?

Do you have further Japanese related items? Are they presented in a show case of just stored in the deposit?

BR, Chris

I'd guesstimate that only 50% of the museums holdings are on display at any given moment. We have an amazing collection of Japanese art & in equally astounding collection of Japanese weapons in our Arms & Armor section. If anyone wants to come for a visit & a tour PM me

Oh, I see. You used the supplemental volume. I don't have that--looks like it may have some more good info.

My mistake! I should have tell everybody about this supplement volume. I forgot to translate the most elementarily kanji: 資料編

Sorry for that! :blush:

I'd guesstimate that only 50% of the museums holdings are on display at any given moment. We have an amazing collection of Japanese art & in equally astounding collection of Japanese weapons in our Arms & Armor section. If anyone wants to come for a visit & a tour PM me

Thanks, Jareth! I'd like to pay a visit, but don't know, when I'll be in the US...

I'd guesstimate that only 50% of the museums holdings are on display at any given moment.

Pushkin Museum of Art has less than 20% of its holding on display at any given moment ;)

Impressive, no doubt! Check out the 1874 War medal, but notice the hook and catch style - not orignal, eh? Must be a repair, or replacment ribbon?

One of these days! Can the collections like this that aren't on display be accessed/observed by visitors on special arrangement?

Do the weapons collection include any firearms?

Impressive, no doubt! Check out the 1874 War medal, but notice the hook and catch style - not orignal, eh? Must be a repair, or replacment ribbon?

Looks like "original replacement ribbon" to me ;)

attachicon.gif06_454_B.JPG

One of these days! Can the collections like this that aren't on display be accessed/observed by visitors on special arrangement?

Do the weapons collection include any firearms?

Uncertain if a special visitor viewing can be arranged. Prior written request can't hurt. Especially if your doing "research'.. Can't recall if there are any Japanese matchlocks on display. Certainly nothing bolt action

• 1 month later...

Just got the supplemental volume in the mail today. A few more numbers:

Meiji 27: 25th Anniversary medal numbers are 33 gold and 1301 silver

Meiji 29: 220,000 Japanese Red Cross member medals

Meiji 29: 160,000 1894-5 War Medals

Meiji 35: Japanese Red Cross 25th Anniversary medals 900,003 (silver)

Meiji 38: 210,000 Japanese Red Cross member medals

Meiji 38: 159,004 Imperial Fleet Donation medals (all colors)

Meiji 39: 210,000 Japanese Red Cross member medals

etc.

Sorry for the abrupt stop. Since this volume is the history of the Mint, most of the info has to do with coinage. I am sure more medal information is scattered about. I need to settle down with it and scan the pages.