News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of The Iron Crown with Case of Issue-Mini?

Rogi

I received this in a package with two other medals from my Uncle and Aunt for my birthday (which is in 2 weeks :D) but I'd like to know a bit more about it, since I recal a similar Order of the Iron Crown being worn by one of my relatives in the old pictures we had at our home when I was younger. (they got stolen during the war in Croatia/Yugoslavia)

I think it is a Mini, but it is a bit larger than most other minis out there, any help is greatly appreciated, it appears to be gold via the hallmarks, but can gold tarnish? ie I know gold itself can't but is it possible for 18k (which this appears to be) to be able to tarnish like this?

Does anyone know its possible date?

Here are the pictures:

The lid:

DSCN7275_zps3c6aaeac.jpg

Inside:

DSCN7306_zps856ed090.jpg

Close up of the Eagle, such beautiful detail if you look in the top right center section of the "wheel" you can see some "tarnish" on the star

DSCN7304_zps14166910.jpg

Here are the 2 hallmarks on the center section of the "star", a bit of the star is tarnished, it is on a piece attaching the star and the chain together

I couldn't find what the F-S means

RSCN7268_zpsfd37b914.jpg

and the A Dog 4, which in Austrian Designations is Vienna (Wien) which matches up with the case info., the dog is representing gold and 4 is 18k?

RSCN7265_zps9e84b5e2.jpg

On the "Ring" that attaches the eagle together to the chain, it looks like V and something else to me, as well as a object on the right side, right next to the V or A in this picture is a star on the right, it isn't very visible in this shot but you can faitnly make it out EDIT: When you flip the ring picture around to the other side, it appears to be VM, I'll try to post another picture later.

RSCN7270_zps2c7cb45e.jpg

here is a close up of the object and to the right of it:

RSCN7289_zps282c74db.jpg

and a clearly marked V M on the "needle"

RSCN7299_zps3901d904.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated, is it gold, plate, date, class 3rd, 4th? anything that you can lend a hand with I would be very grateful, or just drop a comment :D:)

Regards,

Igor

Edited by Rogi

I ended up fliping the ring picture and adding a back shot of the eagle:

As you can see it looks like a "V.M" on the ring shot once you end up fliping it.the M is very faint but it looks like it is there.

RSCN7270_zps1fb04a1d.jpg

and the reverse of the Eagle, I took it off the chain so I could take these shots :)

DSCN7277_zpsf4087867.jpg

Hi Igor,

It` s larger miniature of the Order of the Iron Crown III (Orden der Eisernen Krone - EKO III) class on the small chain which was attached to civil cloth for some more formal occasions (black-tie occasions usually). It was probably worn by some higher positioned civil servant or retired higher officer. Concerning the higher officer it was more or less automatically given to him when he attained the rank of colonel and he successfully led his regiment for the period of at least 3 years. Civil service was too diverse, so difficult to say what he might be at the time when he received this order but it had to be considerable high rank (equal to that of colonel in military).

To the decoration itself:

Case is the product of Vincenz Mayer and Soehne, one of the biggest order and jeweler makers of old A-H Empire. 2nd part of 19. Century was the period of its greatest shine. Company ceased to existed in early 20s. It was also traditional maker of mini-chains, mini-collanes and miniatures. I assume that “V M” on the ring of decoration is maker`s mark for Vincenz Mayer. I see there probably “A”, which is official A-H mark of HMA Wien (Central Assay Office in Vienna) for precious metals (gold, silver). It`s good quality lager miniature (something like 31-35mmx16-18mm). I do not see hallmark (I can’t recognize it) but I assume that it might be traditionally made of 18 k gold. Mini-chain – that hallmark is old A-H hallmark (1872-1922) for 14k gold called “Fuchskopf”, Head of the Fox. Maker`s mark “F-S” on the rosette (this part was attached to the button hole) of the mini-chain…honestly don’t know…maybe some (for me unknown) maker`s mark of the Souval company, another jewelry and order maker???

It`s very nice piece and “red tarnish” on the old gold is more sign of its originality than something to worry about. It`s just the chemical process of gold oxidation.

Regards,

tifes (Tomas)

Thank you so much Tifes :) I've sent you a pm with the links, not sure if I am allowed to post them in the forum, but the dogs or fox head definatley looks to be either 14k or 18k gold I forgot to post one of the hallmarks on the needle:

RSCN7295_zpsf2bcfd40.jpg

Looks like an H on it and a N?

• 1 year later...