News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Did Australians wear RAF uniforms during WW2

Hi Guys,

As the title says I'm just trying to find out if Australians wore RAF uniforms during WW2 ???

I've just been given a set of cloth AUSTRALIA shoulder titles that are in the RAF colours & was told that they were worn by Australians serving with the RAF during the war but have been unable to find any information & all my books show our Guys in their dark blue RAAF uniforms ???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All the best.

J.D

To my information, RAF uniforms were issued to Australian Airmen in the UK as a replacement/surplus for the dark blue uniforms which were issued to the men Australia, before they were shipped to the European Theatre, when there were worn out.

This, I was told by Australian veterans I have met in England when I visited RAF museums as member of a living history group.

To my information, RAF uniforms were issued to Australian Airmen in the UK as a replacement/surplus for the dark blue uniforms which were issued to the men Australia, before they were shipped to the European Theatre, when there were worn out.

This, I was told by Australian veterans I have met in England when I visited RAF museums as member of a living history group.

Thanks Odulf that makes sense.

All the best.

JD

• 8 months later...

Australians serving in the RAF wore nationality titles in common with citizens from many other allied countries. Some of these titles also incorporated shoulder eagles. The nationality titles for officers were light blue on RAF blue-grey and the titles for other ranks were light blue on dark blue. As mentioned above, RAAF personnel serving with the RAF (rather than in the RAF) would generally wear their standard RAAF uniforms but, if necessary, did also wear RAF uniforms when it was not possible to obtain replacement RAAF uniforms.