News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Special Class of the Order of the United Glory (a.k.a. Order of the Common Honour)

JapanX

• Replies 71
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strangely enough but all Nanking Government awards that I saw were made in China by Chinese manufacturers.

Guess two factors influenced that

1) we are talking about 1943 here ... Quite lively time ... Maybe even too lively for Japan ...

2) unlike Manchukuo there were acceptable (by quality) manufacturers of awards in China

Edited by JapanX

Simply superb Nick! A very rare order in practically mint condition.

There's very little information about the Nanjing Puppet Orders unfortunately. Only snippets of information.

Was this a Special Class + 9 regular classes?

Simply superb Nick! A very rare order in practically mint condition.

:beer:

Was this a Special Class + 9 regular classes?

Yep.

As far as I understand Special + 9 Regular.

Although I've never seen 7th, 8th and 9th classes of this order. Again very typical situation for Chinese orders ;)

Any sense of who might have made the insignia?

My guess is the Central Mint at Tianjin which was of course under Japanese control.

Most if not all of these were awarded to Japanese officers, Chinese collaborators and friendly Axis officials. The Soviet Union maintained "normal" relations with Japan until August 1945. Did the Soviet Union recognise any of the Japanese puppets - Manchukuo, Nanjing Government?

My guess is the Central Mint at Tianjin which was of course under Japanese control.

Could be ... could be ...

But why then there are two variations (by reverse construction) of this Special class?

Of course theoretically both variations could be manufactured by Tianjin Mint...

Most if not all of these were awarded to Japanese officers, Chinese collaborators and friendly Axis officials. The Soviet Union maintained "normal" relations with Japan until August 1945. Did the Soviet Union recognise any of the Japanese puppets - Manchukuo, Nanjing Government?

USSR established diplomatic relationships with Manchukuo on April 13, 1941 (de facto even earlier - on March 23, 1935)

As for Nanjing Government - I don't have exact info.

I don't think that there were any diplomatic relationships between USSR and Nanjing Government.

Especially since on January 9, 1943 Nanjing Government declared war on US and UK ;)

The square plaque on the reverse has some similarities with those stamped on the Republican Order of the Golden Grain and the Order of the Precious Brilliant Golden Grain made by the Tianjin Mint. Interestingly most of those insignia bear the name of the Central Mint in addition to the name of the Order, but some only bore the name of the Order.

The Nationalist decorations aren't really my area but I'd be surprised if the Central Mint did not continue producing the new awards of the Guomindang government after 1929 given they had the expertise and tools to do so.

I guess this is one of those questions that can only be theorised, never definitively answered.

USSR established diplomatic relationships with Manchukuo on April 13, 1941 (de facto even earlier - on March 23, 1935)
    As for Nanjing Government - I don't have exact info.

Interesting, only 9 weeks before Operation Barbarossa. One of the reasons for the Japanese occupation of Manchuria and north China was to create a buffer against the Soviet Union. Soviet recognition of Manchukuo was implicit recognition of Japan's regional ambitions. But no doubt Stalin had more pressing concerns in the West!

One of the reasons for the Japanese occupation of Manchuria and north China was to create a buffer against the Soviet Union.

+ springboard for attack ;)

Soviet recognition of Manchukuo was implicit recognition of Japan's regional ambitions. But no doubt Stalin had more pressing concerns in the West!

Natural consequence of neutrality pact (日ソ中立条約) that was signed between Japan and USSR on the same day in Moscow ....

And even earlier!

Manchukuo diplomatic representatives was opened in Chita in March 1933!

Here it is in our days (Babushkina street, Building 72)

Please note that the seal is simply the name of the order .

All classes of this order have same seal on reverse except Special Class (its seal has two additional hieroglyphs "Special")

Edited by JapanX