News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Manchukuo - Auspicious Clouds 2nd Class

drclaw

This is a real beauty in Morton and Eden's upcoming July 2013 auction. And unlike with our vendor in Ukraine, you know you will receive what you pay for.

Plenty of Japanese orders and decorations as well, including a Grand Cordon Rising Sun and Grand Cordon Sacred Treasure.

Full catalogue available here: http://www.mortonandeden.com/pdfcats/65web.pdf

Manchukuo, Order of the Auspicious Clouds, Second Class set of insignia, comprising neck badge, in silver-gilt and enamels, width 62.5mm, and breast star, in silver, with gilt and enamelled centre, 89mm, in (slightly damaged) lacquer box of issue, good very fine and rare £3,000-3,500

Edited by drclaw

So the catalogue is finally out.

Somebody should tell them about wrong position of the breast star in the box :lol:

:D

Well, as you say, at least a set that you will actually receive ;)

Well, as you say, at least a set that you will actually receive ;)

Yes, but what about all this suspense that "our vendor in Ukraine" gave to us ;)

Edited by JapanX

• 4 weeks later...

1st Class Auspicious Clouds currently on YJA. Superb!

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_06_2013/post-11630-0-13061800-1372631749.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_06_2013/post-11630-0-63809500-1372631774.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_06_2013/post-11630-0-23992900-1372631822.jpg

It seems that you can't give Japanese medals away even at a half to a third of what they were making 35 years ago, even the auspicious clouds sold on the reserve. I reckon if I sold my collection of Raj Medals to Indians I could fill a warehouse with Japanese ODM on the proceeds.

Paul

I was surprised it went for that price but it does support the widespread perception that Manchukuo orders are Japanese, not Chinese.

Imagine what a cased 2nd Class Golden Grain or Striped Tiger set would have sold for.

Paul - well done on that 1st Type 3rd Class Double Dragon. 40,000 pounds must be a new record.

Edited by drclaw

It seems that you can't give Japanese medals away even at a half to a third of what they were making 35 years ago, even the auspicious clouds sold on the reserve.

Well, while Japanese "stuff" is in a descending line, Manchu "stuff" has a very good perspectives ...

I reckon if I sold my collection of Raj Medals to Indians I could fill a warehouse with Japanese ODM on the proceeds.Paul

Or even better - buy yourself a private brewery ;)

I was surprised it went for that price but it does support the widespread perception that Manchukuo orders are Japanese, not Chinese.

They are by every account :)

So this 2nd class set was sold for £3,000 ?

1st Type 3rd Class Double Dragon. 40,000 pounds must be a new record.

35 years ago it costs (almost) next to nothing :whistle:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

With perfect hindsight, I would have sold shares in 2007, sold gold in 2012, and stocked up on Chinese medals in 2000 :lol:

Imagine what a cased 2nd Class Golden Grain or Striped Tiger set would have sold for.

Paul - well done on that 1st Type 3rd Class Double Dragon. 40,000 pounds must be a new record.

Yes the Chinese did incredibly well, the type 2 1/3 star made £8,500, even managed to shift that late Cloud and Banner for £2,400.

Paul

Price list now on line at wwwmortonandeden.com. A bit late due to staff absences. Sensible offers will be considered, if none are received they will be reconsigned.

Anyone interested can PM me.

Paul

Well, we call it “free enterprise economy”: you never know who is looking where for what item…! ;)

BR, Chris

@Nick: well, the items I’m looking for are not available this time… :blush: