News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Great East Asia War Medal Replicas

JapanX

• Replies 166
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recently I saw this example of "pink ribbon" with the golden chrysanthemum.

I wonder if this is gold was added by some enthusiast or is it indeed mini variation of general "pink" type

Nick, thanks for a fascinating thread. I was browsing both Peterson's book and Rich's superb website (http://www.imperialjapanmedalsandbadges.com/sitemap.html). Rich succinctly summarises:

"However, soon after the war ended in defeat and the struck medals (about 10,000 according to Peterson) were destroyed by the American occupying forces. Before this, according to Peterson, a few posthumous awards were made, so a few original medals exist. A history of the Japan Mint (published in 1965 by the Japan Mint and authorized by the Ministry of Finance) states that although some medals were minted, none were awarded. The latter seems like a reliable source, so we can assume that there were no cases nor medal award documents made."

Do you know of any original medals or could we rely on the Japan Mint that none were in fact awarded?

Of course, there's always the possibility of US occupying soldiers pocketing a couple as souvenirs as they went about destroying 10,000 medals ...

Type 7 “On the basis of China Incident War Dispatch Medal”

The most unusual replica.

Actually only the ribbon of this replica is connected with original Great East Asia medal.

The medal itself is based on China Incident medal.

Another “connection” is the box – same old black and pretty plastic one ;)

Edited by JapanX

Replica for the Veterans of Independent Infantry Unit, 122 Battalion

This one was created on the basis of type 7.

Everything is the same – only additional inscription was added on the back of the lid.