Polizei officer with Gothic "S" on collar tabs

Dear gentlemen, I managed to acquire this portrait recently. I assume he's a Polizei-Major from one of the Weimar-era German states. Could you please help me with identifying the branch of service he belonged? I've never seen such a Gothic "S" insignia on collar tabs before. Please note there's some obscure device on his shoulder boards as well, but I don't think it's a pip for an Oberstleutnant, rather another "S"?

• 2 years later...

Hello Andrew!

A friend of mine did find another photo whit that badge.

I borrowed your photo for our forum (hope that was ok...)

Maybe there will be further informations.

http://feldgrau.pytalhost.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?35310-Kragenspiegel-quot-S-quot-kein-Schneeschuh-Freikorps-Reichswehr-kuk-Bitte-identifizieren

There is a blurry picture on page 126 of Erich Radecke's "Ordnungshüter 1919 bis 1939 in Deutschland" which shows a group of candidate officers of the Polizei des Saargebietes. Under the magnifying glass, they very much appear to have the same "S" on a dark (green?) collar tab.

Regards

Glenn

Hi Andy,

it has some very nice portrait photos but no description of organisation and uniforms.

The original photograph is not very clear but the gentleman on the left looks very similar to the Polizist in your link.

Here it is.

Regards

Glenn

Saarland.JPG