News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello,

I do have one more name for your list:

Leutnant d. Res. Hans Karl von Winterfeld, Jäger-Bataillon 14

Libertycross III. class, 21 November 18, (No. 368)

Commemorative medal 3 July 1919

regards

jaeger7-de

• 8 months later...

Hi Christer,

recently the medal bar and the documents from 

Leunant der Reserve Otto Jdel from 4. Kompanie 

Reserve Infanterie Regiment 255 have been sold.

He got the Freiheitskreuz III. class.

Regards

Andreas

• 8 months later...
    On ‎22‎-‎6‎-‎2013 at 09:12, christerd said:

Thats a fantastic piece Mikko !

One of the nicest I´ve seen :jumping:

Even if reserach going on I give a couple of more names just to check if I´m right :unsure:

Liberty Cross 1st Class without Swords with Breast Star 1918 2 awarded

Lauri J Ingman

Pehr E Svinhufvud

Both Finnish Politicians.

One thing I learned the last days is that my numbers for awarded Liberty Crosses is far to low :cheeky:

I thought there where only 509 3rd class 1918 awarded but the real numbers must be more than 1000 !

Also 2nd Class 1918 I thought 152 awarded but the real numbers is closer to 300 , they are not so rare as I thought.

The same goes probably for 4th class , I already seen that I have more names for 4th classes wo X and with Red Cross then I thought was awarded in total. It will be interesting to see the final numbers someday.

Christer

Hi all,

Could the wearer of this unnamed ribbon bar have been one of those 2nd class 1918 ricipients?

Regards. Peter

IMG_0270.JPG

IMG_0271.JPG

Wow again, the newest and probably most true award numbers on Liberty Crosse 2nd Class is 271 awarded

And 102 to Germans so your bar is one of 102 :)  1 to a Bavarian , and 2 to Saxon officers so that leave us with 99 possible

Looks that he has Army Long Service medals which means that the 60 Navy officers could be ruled out so we are down to 39 possible.

The Oldenburg Cross could pont to Oldenburg Dragon Rgt 19 who was in Finland 1918.

Here is some names of Germans with Liberty Cross 2nd 1918

Graf von Bernstoff   - Had Austrian Merit Cross

Georg Carp ?  

Hans Karl von Esebeck ?

Nikolaus von Falkenhorst

William Halling  - Had other Awards 

Adolf Hauger 

Ludwig Heckmann

dr Theodor Heynemann  - Bavarian , had other wards 

Ernest Moritz von Kaisenberg - Had other awards

Benedict Kreutz 

Arthur Lehmann

Christian Mathes 

Ludwig Müller - Had other Awards 

Martin Otto

Otto Scheferling

Hans Schenk zu Schweinsberg

Hans Siebold

Otto Theim 

If we can find what awards these officers above had maybe we can shorten the list even more .

Christer

22 hours ago, drspeck said:

Hi all,

Could the wearer of this unnamed ribbon bar have been one of those 2nd class 1918 ricipients?

Regards. Peter

Lovely ribbon bar Peter! :)  I don't think we can know for sure if this is a WW1 2nd Class or WW2 awarded grand cross, first class or second class decoration. The ribbons were the same.

P.S. You cannot count out the Kriegsmarine. As Andreas says, the eagle devices were the same as the Heer.

Edited by P.F.

3 hours ago, P.F. said:

Lovely ribbon bar Peter! :)  I don't think we can know for sure if this is a WW1 2nd Class or WW2 awarded grand cross, first class or second class decoration. The ribbons were the same.

P.S. You cannot count out the Kriegsmarine. As Andreas says, the eagle devices were the same as the Heer.

Hi all, thanks for all the info.

Some good points have been put forward. It's an interesting combo. The Oldenburg cross makes me think it's a naval officer, but the Westwall medal and the field-grey backing makes me think it is Heer... :banger:

Do we know of any full lists of names for the 2nd class 1918 and/or the 2nd and higher classes for the 41+ recipients?

On a different note, does anyone have a spare device for a ribbon bar for a 3rd or 4th class cross? This bar came without....

Regards. Peter

Seven_Ribbon_Rib_52c2dd2e79066.jpg

Edited by drspeck

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 17:51, drspeck said:

Hi all, thanks for all the info.

Some good points have been put forward. It's an interesting combo. The Oldenburg cross makes me think it's a naval officer, but the Westwall medal and the field-grey backing makes me think it is Heer... :banger:

Do we know of any full lists of names for the 2nd class 1918 and/or the 2nd and higher classes for the 41+ recipients?

On a different note, does anyone have a spare device for a ribbon bar for a 3rd or 4th class cross? This bar came without....

Regards. Peter

Hi Peter,

Certainly there were many Heer officers with the Oldenburg FA Cross. The West Wall and the field-gre backing made me think Heer as well.

I like your other bar also.  :) Good luck finding a device for it.

After a short thinking I realize that Peters Ribbon bar probably show a 1941 2nd class Liberty Cross instead of a 1918. Then the combination of awards make more sense.

I have to how many 41 awards there where to Germans - I'll be back !

christer

22 hours ago, misiu said:

As far as i know, the fourth medal was awarded decades after 1917/18

This thread doesn't mention when the medals were issues, only that the recipient list was still reviewed up to 1961!

http://gmic.co.uk/topic/50400-liberation-war-commemorative-medal-vapaussodan-muistomitali-1918/#comment-461234