News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A friend has a tunic that is named to Hauptmann Franz Geßlein. There are three loops on the chest for badges and loops for a medal bar of approximately five ribbons. Can anyone steer him toward an answer regarding what might have been worn by this officer? Here is what we know so far.

Geßlein was promoted to Hauptmann 11 March 1911. The tunic's tailor was located in Würtzburg and Geßlein was in the 9th Bavarian Infantry Regiment garrisoned in Würtzburg. He was promoted to Major 14 December 1917. He was born in 1873 and was 44 years old at this time. The tailor's label is dated 1917. He survived the war and was still in active service in

Thanks in advance,

Chip

Edited by Chip

Franz Geßlein only had three ribbons:

12.03.05 Jubilee Medal for the Bavarian Army
    14.02.15 Military Merit Order 4th Class with Swords
    16.09.14 Iron Cross 2nd Class
    19.05.18 Wound Badge in Black
    If they were mounted Bavarian style, the width might be similar to a five-ribbon bar of normal width ribbons.

Hi Chip!

His patents are: Leutnant 27.2.1896, Oberleutnant 8.3.1905, Hauptmann 3.3.1911, Major 14.12.17

In the bav. Rangliste of 1906 I have a handwritten marking, that he was Adjutant of the II./Btl.

In the bav. Rangliste of 1913 he was Hauptmann und Kompaniechef of the 5th company with the Jubiläums-Medaille

In the bav. Rangliste of 1918 he wore the bay. Mil.Verdienstkreuz 4.Klasse mit Schwertern.

The Ehrenrangliste says: Major a.D.

I coulnd´t find him in the both Ranglisten of 1920 and 1925.

Guest Rick Research

The Honor Rank LIst entry simply meant he was alive in 1926-- he wasn't Reichsheer. I don't have anything else on him in my decades of scribbled notes.

An officer of that rank would have ended up with an EK1 almost automatically. Odd he never got a crown to his BMV4X.

Edited by Rick Research

He didn't get any other awards because he had a very short war. He was knocked from his horse by an explosion on 25 August 1914 while leading the 5.Kompanie of 9.IR, and spent the rest of the war undergoing medical treatment or sitting in the Ersatz battalion of 9.IR. He was transferred to the staff of the Stellv. General-Kommando II. bayer. Armee-Korps on 1 December 1917 and placed zur Disposition on 9 July 1918.

A very interesting story. What awards would he have worn on his chest other than the wound Badge? Could he have been awarded his EKI post war or possibly awards from other German state not listed in your records?