Serbia Order of St. Sava V class 1883 Huguenin Freres ?

A few weeks ago I bought this unusually medal at the French ebay but I'm a little unfamiliar with i do not remember that I had seen before on the market. According to Pavel Car book "Serbian and Yugoslavian

Orders and Decorations" this order is probably early production of Huguenin & Freres ???

Hi Nice decoration, I personally think that it may be by Bertrand of Paris, even if an earlier version rather than Huguenin Le Locle.

I attach two in my collection, the 4th Class (Gold is by Huguenin), note the more pronounced centre medallion, The Bertrand version (5th Class sliver) whilst possibly a later version has the same flatter centre medallion similar to that posted by yourself. The reverse of both are more or less identical to yours.

Any help or more confusion? :unsure:

regards

Alex

Greetings Obi,

I watched that decoration on ebay, if I remember well another member of the forum was the seller. That was the first time I saw that variant, nice catch, thanks for images!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

A few weeks ago I bought this unusually medal at the French ebay but I'm a little unfamiliar with i do not remember that I had seen before on the market. According to Pavel Car book "Serbian and Yugoslavian

Orders and Decorations" this order is probably early production of Huguenin & Freres ???

Hi,

Excellent piece, can you get a clsose up of the punch mark (reverse suspension - left side)?

The mark in these productions is usually blank :) So if there is producer hallmark there I would be surprised and intrigued :)

It definitely looks like a punch on the suspension of the reverse, perhaps the owner can check.

It definitely looks like a punch on the suspension of the reverse, perhaps the owner can check.

On all these unknown producers, if they do have a punch it is usually blank, that is why they are unknown, the reason for this lack of hallmark could be due to a couple reasons, here is my example for reference, it has a Hallmark indentation but is blank :) It is from a similar producer (or a later variant of the same production) if you check the book referenced you'll see the similarities :)If we found even 1 or 2 with a hallmark then it might solve the mystery, there are a couple other threads with Obi's St. Sava that can also be used for a reference but so far to my memory none of these has a hallmark (I think Obi's is blank as well, but it would be great if he double checked :)

Here is mine as an example.

DSCN8647_zps8cc8dcfe.jpg

Edited by Rogi

Rogi,

Call me crazy but yours (very nice piece by the way!!) really looks to have French silver standard hallmark (boar head - up side down in your case). I have not heard of "blank" punch marks, perhaps hard to read etc. I get it, it does not tell us of particual manufacturer but at least narrows it down to a country.

Cheers.

Thank you Farmer :)

I'll make a close up of it hopefully today or tomorrow :) but the upper hallmark section is blank (near the crown) (sadly :( I went over it religiously when it arrived :D

The only identification we have for my variant is the other known example in the book (which is a 3rd class) in a Belgium case Brussels, Joseph Piret Jeweler. We can only really stipulate to it either being Pirets or Hugeunin (since it shares similaries to pieces like Obi's that is believed to be from that manufacturer)

If you see an alternative hallmark, let me know :) because that was the only section I could make out :D

Edited by Rogi

Here we go for the mark, as you can see, empty :( (at least as far as I can see atm )It might resemble a figure, but there is usually some type of animal (as you mentioned) inside the actual mark.

RSCN8824_zps772755bd.jpg

and a full shot of the attachment:

RSCN8822_zpsd9c6fc35.jpg

Edited by Rogi

Hello Gents

So we still didn't figure out is this early Huguenin or Pires of Belgium? :)

Hm, boar head! I had Rogi order in my possession for some time, and i taught that this can be a boar head, like on many French silver medals, but the shape is not precisely like boar head stamp!

And yes, there is very similar stamp on Obi order, which points out that those two orders are probably from the same producer, but Rogi type with golden saint is far more rarer, and more beautiful if I may add! :D

I would like that we put these orders in their places in history, so if anyone has more info, share it with us!!

Rogi, nice pictures!! Well done my friend! :D

AD

• 1 month later...

Order with the same image of the saint as Obi's is currently being offered. The crown is also similar but slightly different.

Apart from that there are many differences and the seller has written that it has 3 hallmarks on the ring: 900, G.A.S. and Austrian silver hallmark.

On the other hand this can not be seen on the photos and the order is described as in extremely fine condition without enamel chipping which is obviously not the case.

Any thoughts on this one? Perhaps hybrid?

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_05_2014/post-7937-0-75586700-1399892372.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_05_2014/post-7937-0-29330400-1399892394.jpg

Edited by paja

Close-ups.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_05_2014/post-7937-0-76553800-1399892433.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_05_2014/post-7937-0-92728300-1399892461.jpg

Whatever it is, even if it is fully "legit"

It looks like a bit of repair going on it.

I don't like the places where it is chipped in. looks odd really. and price is way over what we would pay for anything :D GAS anyway of that period lol

The red on the eagles is a bit odd too like someone adding it a bit later etc. Also the attachment suspension is different from Obi's example.

Edited by Rogi