News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Peter

The Met used to be responsible for policing the Royal Dockyards - Dockyard constables had their numbers on the collar along with an anchor & crown. The helmet plate had their number in the centre with an anchor above.

1st Div - Woolwich

2nd Div - Portsmouth (1860 - 1934)

3rd Div - Devonport

4th Div - Chatham

5th Div - Pembroke

6th Div - Rosyth

The only J Wyatt connected to the Dockyard Div that I could find was a James Wyatt - warrant no 80496 - who joined the 3rd Div 13/06/1895 who retired as a PS on the 13/06/1921 while still serving on 3rd Div. Sure its going to be your man

Entitled to 1897Jubilee medal - 1902 coronation medal - 1911 coronation medal.

Alex

The most probable candidate is James Edward Wyatt who joined 4/4/1870 and left 8/4/1895 (he had taken his pension at the 25 year point)

His warrant number was 52607 and when he finished his service he was still at 2nd Division (Portsmouth) as a PC (with the divisional number 62 - this information is from the Police Orders)

Checking the Attestation Register shows James Wyatt joined as a PC in K Div (Bow)

I'm afraid I can't tell you the dates of any moves for him - these will be shown in his pension papers which are at Kew but not available on line. There is no service sheet for him as he joined before these records start..

The Discharge Register shows that he left with a Class 1 Certificate (= Excellent)

The 1887 Medal would appear to be his sole police medal entitlement (he did not return for the 1897 Jubilee)

For general information - very few medals have more than one initial engraved on them - the vast majority show only the first initial (I have just one in my collection with two initials on it and even then the second one is actually incorrect!). Also on joining the Police Orders entry normally shows only one first name. However if you look at the attestation register for the men when they joined, most appear to have signed the register with their full name (in this case he wrote James Edward Wyatt). In addition the full name is also usually given on the Discharge Register. Checking the service sheet (if there is one) may also give you the full name for the individual but not always. All these three sets of records (Attestation and Discharge Registers and Service Sheets) are available on-line from the National Archives and can be downloaded for free - all are in the MEPO 4 series of records BUT you need to know the Warrant Number to find two of them and date of discharge for the Discharge Register - otherwise forget the haystack, it would be like looking for a needle in a cornfield!

Edited by Odin Mk 3

• 1 month later...

I am the greatgrand daughter of pc Joseph Daniels whn died in 1892 and was entitled to the 1887 jubilee medal. I wonder if anyone knows where it is ? I have just started my search about Joseph can anyone help? Please Thankyou

Hello Cheryl

Joseph Daniels joined the Met with the Warrant Number 71719 on 17/05/1886 and started as a PC in C Division (St James). He is shown in the Discharge Register as Died and was removed from the Police books on 23/05/1892. He had been serving in E Division before he died (Holborn).

I'm afraid I can't help with the location of his 1887 Medal but it will be named to him as: PC J Daniels C Divn as he didn't move to E Division until after the Jubilee which was in June 1887.

His divisional number when he died was 259 so any photos of him in uniform (at that time) would show him with the collar number 259E

That's about all I can do for you I'm afraid - there won't be many more Police Records for him I'm afraid - no pension records / service sheet / gratuities register etc. Also the ledger which records the returns of deaths of officers and shows the cause of their deaths (MEPO 4/2) only goes up to 1889.

I can e-mail you copies of pages from the Attestation and Discharge Registers if you want them

Edited by Odin Mk 3