News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Striped Tiger on eBay

Richard LaTondre

Some people think that looking at a overpriced auction, it automatically sets the price for their item.

Alas, being in the auction business it is only too true. Somebody phones up with an item which you know regularly fetches around £500 in auction, you tell them it is worth about £500, you then get the reply but there was one on the internet at £5,000 and therefore you are wrong. At this point you ask them if they believe every word in the Bible, to which they reply "Of course not", my reply is "then why do you believe everything you see on the internet."

Paul

At this point you ask them if they believe every word in the Bible, to which they reply "Of course not", my reply is "then why do you believe everything you see on the internet."

... and if they reply "Of course YES"? 3f7eb1cdde844f311fad6dc9653fb032.gif

Some people think that looking at a overpriced auction, it automatically sets the price for their item. I assume they gave a 6,000 discount because of the missing box and ribbon :lol:

This is quite true. To add to the myriad defects, it has no hallmarks, no bureau marks, or maker's marks. It is not all there (it is missing a couple of screws). The condition of this item is probably 'Fair' at the best. And to top it off the seller makes the following statement "; this medal was offered at a recent UK coin/medal auction for $15K."

Also lots of damage to enamel and to the tiger. The second layer is not silver?? It looks like a brass type of metal is showing beneath. Or is it gilded and most of it gone showing the silver beneath...?

Edited by hc8604

Yep.

1st, 2nd and 3rd classes have completely gilded rays.

4th, 5th and 6th clases have four bunches (6 rays in a bunch) of rays (on 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock) gilded.

7th, 8th and 9th clases don't have any gilt on rays.