News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Authenticity questions

• Replies 116
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty obvious one

Yes, the obvious ones I can recognize. But when it comes to leaves or berries, letter fonts, the edges and the texture(?) of the obverse I can only guess without somebody pointing out the faults.

The ring is generally the only part that I can recognize as good or dubious.

• 3 weeks later...

But "shovel" is more rare than first type (which was issued even in 1946) ;)

I know. I see all those 'speculators' on Aukro with their Shovel Braverys and CSMs and silver labour medals priced at twice the usual price just because they are "rare". I don't buy it.

A question that crosses all collecting fields... at which point does "earlier model and slightly more sought after" become "Rare and worth much more" ?

best

Chris

When people are willing to pay more.. :(

At that point that someone is willing to pay more for it. These items we collect are, in cold reality, only worth their smelt value. Which, essentially, means a Belgrade or Odessa is worth about 3 cents. The remaining "worth" (value) of an award is what we're willing to pay above and beyond the smelt value. Of course a Lenin will be worth more due to gold and platinum content, but the smelt value is nowhere near the collector value of the award. And, when you get right down to it, the "market" even decides the smelt value. Gold, after all, is just a rock that we've decided is worth a lot of money.

Well Nick, yeah, I guess... philosophizing makes me feel better when parts of my collection seem to go down in value... helps me hold on because I know that, if I let things run full circle, they'll be back up in value... if I wait long enough... I guess...

Ok, ok, you caught me writing in the vernacular. What I mean is that, at times, certain items seem to fall out of favour with collectors or, perhaps, because of what they are, are just not what collectors are looking for at that moment in time... even though they may be quite rare. But, often enough, if you wait awhile and hold on to what you have, you may find the collector market turns (circle) in your favour. I found this to be true regarding the Mongolian end of my collection. When I began, no one seemed to want or particularly care about Mongolian items. Boy, did that change!