News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

"Standing" War Hospital Armband

Guest Rick Research

This rather coarsely woven white armband with sewn on red felt Maltese (?) cross came by with the Traveling Museum. We assume 1914 rather than 1870, though I have NEVER seen the expression "Standing" used for a Kriegs-Lazarett before.

Unfortunately the stamp bounced off the cross just where the only bit missing is WHICH army corps this was.

Guest Rick Research

All the GMIC members within 7 hours one way driving time who bring things to be scanned on my Magic Epson Scanner. Some are close enough we can have lunch together. When the weather is good (no ice, no floods over the bridges) I can even get off The Island and go travel WITH them. Many wonderful things can be shared only because of the Magic Epson Scanner.

Guest Rick Research

It's just a term that has NEVER come up in anything I've ever seen before. Yet the designation existed long enough (at least in "?" Armeekorps) to get a stamp made!

It's just a term that has NEVER come up in anything I've ever seen before. Yet the designation existed long enough (at least in "?" Armeekorps) to get a stamp made!

Hello Rick.

I based my guess on the German term "stehendes Heer" or a permanently under arms regular army.

Bernhard H. Holst

Guest Rick Research

That's why--unlikely as it may seem (and I think Prussian eagles were a different shape on stamps then) I wonder if it could be 1870 rather than 1914. This came with zero background attribution.

Rick,

I have an identical armband. These were part of a large number of various German armbands brought back after the war by a doughboy. He must have had access to a depot, as he had multiples of various examples. I have others from this trove, including Armierungs Batl., Kriegs- Eisenbahn-Direction and Kriegsgefangener Wahn, There were items other than armbands, all in mint condition and all stuffed in a dufflebag. My example's ink stamp is equally difficult to decipher. Of interest is the alternate spelling of Lazarett (Lazareth), which I think is an older way of spelling it. I have seen wartime photos of both Germans and Austrians wearing this Maltese shaped cross on an armband.

Chip

Edited by Chip