News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Regimental Abbreviation

Hi, I am looking to purchase some ww1 medals and have been informed that the regiment is engraved as W.R.F.D.R. I have gone through my list of abbreviations and the only thing I can think is that its the west riding regiment and the seller has got the I mixed up for an F....or is it a correct abbreviation for a regiment..thank you in advance chris

Could be the initials for so many units. FDR - usually is for Frontier Defense Force. West Africa tended to use this - however, I am not sure

that West Riding would be correct ? Mind you most of my Yorkshire friends are pretty defensive of their County ?

What do other members suggest ? Mervyn

The abbreviation for West Riding Regiment = W.RID.R.

I have found that some lists found on the internet are incomplete, especially regarding Commonwealth units, but I can find nothing that references something like "W.R.F.D.R"

So, my best guess is that your supposition about mistaking the I for an F is quite plausible. However, if indeed there are periods after each letter, then West Riding is unlikely. It might be possible the engraver made a mistake, but I think highly unlikely.

As always, a photo of the engraving on the medal in question would help make a more precise guess.