News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

George 4th Commission - 1823

Many families retain military and naval commissions granted to their ancestors - however, it is not that common

to find a Georgian one to a good Regiment.

This one was granted on 10th April 1823 - and so is 190 years old. George the 4th came to the throne in 1820

and died in 1830. The signature of George 4th is at the top of the page - hand written it is a little difficult to read,

so I will give his name here.

Ralph Walsh MANSERGH Gent. This was always included to show that he was a Gentleman, and therefore ,

suitable to have a commission.

He was appointed an ENSIGN in the 25th. Regiment of Foot - the King's Own Borderers Regiment of Foot.

I will show pictures of different sections of the Vellum document.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2013/post-6209-0-73316000-1375885926.jpgclick

Guest Rick Research

That was in the Bad Old Days when commissions were purchased, not earned--and quite often children not old enough to walk were bought commissions by pa-pa in order to have "seniority" later on.

John A. Hall's "Biographical Dictionary of British Officers Killed and Wounded, 1808-1814" contains many such cases of infant officers or 50 year old Lieutenants...

any biographical/genealogical data on this Ensign's life and future career? Because...

My British 1935 edition "Who's Who?" has a fellow I'd guess was probably your Ensign's grandson, being down your way:

"Mansergh, Cornewall Lewis, C.B.E. 1928; I.S.O. 1906; Provincial Secretary, Cape, 1916-22; b. 1863; o.s. of late Major John C. C. Mansergh; m. 1891, Zoldelina, d. of Goert van Reede van Oudtshoorn, Stellenbosch, Cape Colony. Clerk, Crown Lands Office, 1880; 2nd Class Clerk, 1884; 1st Class, 1892; Chief Clerk to Commisioner of Railways and Public Works, 1892; Secretary for Public Works, Cape Colony, 1898; Assistant Provincial Secretary, Cape Colony, 1911; Provincial Secretary, 1916. Address: c/o Provincial Secretary, Cape Town."

• 8 months later...