News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

More than just an NSDAP ribbon bar

I'd like to share this beautiful example of an NSDAP ribbon bar which features some interesting and rare devices.

The ribbons:

NSDAP 15 years Membership

NSDAP 10 years membership

1938 Anschluss Medal

Olympic Games 1936 Medal 1st Class

Italian Order of the Crown 1st Class

Hungarian Signum Laudis Medal.

All ribbons are the wider type making the length of this bar 15.5cm.

Guest Rick Research

:love: Please show the reverse, always. I'm notorious for that, but you never know what that COULD reveal.

I think what this Nazi functionary was trying to show with THREE crowns was an Order of the Crown of Italy-Commander with Star. That would have made him around the paygrade of a Colonel.

I have never seen that Hungarian device before--again, just :love: . That is actually the Hungarian Merit Order in its civil peacetime form. This was the usual device:

I'm assuming yours was intended as a similar Commander grade to match the guy's status for the Italian award.

The back of the ribbon bar could reveal manufacturer, which will aid in hunting down the Hungarian device.

I absolutely love the second row of those ribbon bars :love: :love: :love: That mini enamelled Hungarian award is beautiful!!

And here is a picture of the back :) It is a typical Godet ribbon bar. The sharp detail on all the devices are the first give away, note how PERFECTLY the 3 crown devices have been attached. The Hungarian award on the end could have been made "in house" as it is the very first example I have seen of this device. The eagle retains it's gilded finish and still has a beautiful shine to it. On the back; the catch is the second give away of the Godet jewellers, being a nice chunky durable example.

Guest Rick Research

Ayuh, that's a beauty! I was hoping for a uniform color backing clue.

This one is not beyond the realm of possibility for an ID, but it will take luck--and given the guy's status--finding a photo of him WEARING it.

Guest Rick Research

Could be a single row to an Über-Nazi, but if he was of GENERAL status by 1940, I'm thinking a top row with WW1s ending in a Hindenburg Cross X.

This also makes me think the Olympics decoration could be FIRST Class and not 2nd. There really was no "official" way to distinguish 1st or 2nd--I've only seen a white enamel eagle ONCE. So... having gotten the 2nd Class suspects down to 601 :banger:now I'll try sorting out 1st classes.

Here's a famous one-rower--

this image is small but he appears to have a white enamel eagle and we know his was 1st class.

• 3 years later...