News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Oberst E.Schuler, Knights Cross, Mountain Troops; photos

Hello readers:

Being the caretaker of the military estate of the late Oberst Emil Schuler, decorated with the Knights Cross of the Iron Cross, the Honor Roll Clasp and the German Cross in Gold, I would like to present several photos which reflect this officer's career through the different governments from 1919 to 1962. Oberst E. Schuler born 10 October 1902 and died 8 August 1983. He served in the Freikorps Epp, transferred to the Bavarian State Police in 1924, then the newly reorganized and strengthened German Army in 1935. He entered the (West) German Bundesgrenzschutz ( Border Protection Corps) in 1951 from which he transferred to the new German Army (Bundeswehr) in 1956 as Oberst. He served on active duty until 1962 but continued in reserve functions for some time later.

Freikorps Epp upon return from the Ruhr Area:

Freikorps Epp (note sleeve insignia position(s):

Bavarian State Police:

German Army:

Shortly after being wounded while serving in the 7. Gebirgs Division:

After the award of the Knights Cross:

Bundesgrenzschutz:

Bundeswehr:

Of note are the following observations;

Oberst Schuler was previously twice recommended for the Knights Cross with the second recommendation changed to the Honor Roll Clasp. He received the German Cross as early as 2 November 1941.

Bernhard H. Holst

Guest Rick Research

His was certainly an eventful life! I can't think of anyone who wore as many different uniforms in continuous service to his nation. Did he ever write any memoirs?

His was certainly an eventful life! I can't think of anyone who wore as many different uniforms in continuous service to his nation. Did he ever write any memoirs?

Hello Rick.

I am unaware of any writings by him.

The Biblio reference book on K.C. recipients of German Mountain Troops mentions that he had stomach surgery which kept him in hospital from 11 Sep.1939 to 15 Nov. 1939 followed by assignments to rear area formations for some time. Surviving correspondence makes mention that half his stomach was removed. He obtained promotion to officer in the police early on but apparently did not attend any courses for higher leadership such as battalion or regimental command. Unfortunately the document for the Honor Roll was not in the estate even though it is pictured in the above mentioned reference.

With some satisfaction I can state to have obtained all the remaining rest before an announced split, ( pat, pat...) something we do hate.

Bernhard H. Holst

Fascinating pictorial journey,I love it when you can put a name and a face to these pieces we all collect,do you have his awards?Interesting to read of his first RK being changed to The Honour Roll,a less common award and highly prestigious.

Jon :violent:

Fascinating pictorial journey,I love it when you can put a name and a face to these pieces we all collect,do you have his awards?Interesting to read of his first RK being changed to The Honour Roll,a less common award and highly prestigious.

Hello Jon.

The first proposal for the K.C.Award was made in 1941 and denied. The second one was made in 1943 and amended to the Honor Roll which as you most likely know had an outwardly recognizeable distinction instituted later, namely the Honor Roll Clasp. I have Oberst Schuler's decorations in my care, see below.

Bernhard H. Holst

Edited by Bernhard H.Holst

Wow that is an amazing grouping :love: all those photo's as well,2 HRC are they both worn? I have a named DKIG in cloth in my care ,He also made it onto the Honour Roll But died before he made it to RK,it made me wonder if he too was recommended for an RK but got the HRC instead.Fantastic that you are telling this mans story,quite an important grouping this one thanks for showing.

Hello Jon.

The 3rd Reich version Honor Roll Clasp is certainly worn, the1957 version less so.

A number of reference works I had occasion to see indicate that recommendations to award the K.C. were denied outright, amended to German Cross awards or to inscription in the Honor Roll. But I believe the persons involved were not necessarily informed of all circomstances .

Bernhard H. Holst

Breath taking photos. This officer saw just about every regime change during the course of his career. Great find. Did he have any pre or post TR era awards?

Hello Paul.

I am unaware of any decorations that he may have earned before or following the third Reich. He did serve in the conflicts within Germany and in the eastern border region with Poland following WW I when he became of military service age. In any event no such documents or similar were contained in the estate.

Thank you for your interest.

Bernhard H. Holst

Aren't Bundesverdienstkreuze returnable after the recipient dies? That might explain it.

Hello Rick.

I do not believe so. B.t.w. German dealers offer them very frequently and for quite low prices. My brother has never mentioned it, he lives here and I think he would have mentioned that to me.

Bernhard H. Holst

• 9 months later...

Hello Bernhard and Rick.

I think Colonel E. Schuler has in fact published at least one book. In my regiment's library I found "Infanterie im Kampf - Erfahrungen und Lehren aus Gefechtsberichten" by Oberst a. D. Emil Schuler and Oberst a. D. Hans Werner Stirius. Published in 1963 by Wehr und Wissen Verlagsgesellschaft, Darmstadt.

I hope it can be helpful to you both.

Henrik Hvilsom

Hello Bernhard and Rick.

I think Colonel E. Schuler has in fact published at least one book. In my regiment's library I found "Infanterie im Kampf - Erfahrungen und Lehren aus Gefechtsberichten" by Oberst a. D. Emil Schuler and Oberst a. D. Hans Werner Stirius. Published in 1963 by Wehr und Wissen Verlagsgesellschaft, Darmstadt.

I hope it can be helpful to you both.

Henrik Hvilsom

Hello Henrik.

Thank for bringing this to my attention.

Rick (Research/Lundstrom) is not among us since September of last year when he fell victim to a traffic accident and is very much missed.

Bernhard H. Holst