News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Private George Robert Dwyer Cpl. 102nd Regiment 26th Division

kingsman64

Dear Forum

I have mentioned this group in another thread however having restored George's photograph from its original sorry state I would now like to share some images of the whole group.

I must mention I have collected British Military Medals for over 35 years my theme has always been my hometown medal winners Liverpool England (home of the Beatles and great soccer!) and medals to my family name "Dwyer".

I have never been the custodian of a USA group but when this group turned up in a local provincial auction house I knew I hust had to have them! The group is a real keeper especially with the twist that my research has turned up! :D

Pictures first

GRDWYER1_zps868d11a2.jpg

DSC_0499_20130821111905829_zps1b71f3b5.j

DSC_0504_zpsbfac6ee8.jpg

DSC_0500_20130821111728731_zps5217fe66.j

DSC_0506_20130821111556620_zpsf3be953a.j

DSC_0506_20130821111556620_zpsf3be953a.j

DSC_0502_20130821112156511_zps114d077b.j

DSC_0503_zpsa631bf7b.jpg

USHeadstoneApplicationsforMilitaryVetera

George Robert Dwyer was a native of Hartford Connecticut and enlisted in July 1917 he was honourably discharged due to wounds in May 1919 having reached the rank of Corporal in "F" Company 102nd Infantry Regiment 26th "Yankee" Division. Awarded a retrospective Purple Heart in 1932 No 45183 his PH is confirmed on the record card for his veterans headstone.

Amazingly having been drawn to the group I have discovered that George's father was born in Co Clare Ireland in the same village that my family of Dwyer's originate from! :speechless1:

Looks like your George Dwyer served with a CT Canine Hero, Sgt. Stubby, who just happens to be the most decorated War Dog in US History and the only one promoted to Sergeant via combat.

Sgt. Stubby was a stray puppy who wandered into the training grounds at Yale University where the Yankee Division was drilling. He was adopted by Private John Conroy. He learned the drills, bugle calls, rhythm of camp life and even how to render a salute. When the Yankee Division shipped put for France in October 1917, Pvt. Conroy smuggled Stubby aboard the train and then the transport ship the S.S. Minnestoa and hidden in the coal bin. Once the ship was well out to sea, Pvt. Conroy brought Stubby out onto the deck. Upon arrival in France, Pvt. Conroy once again smuggled Stubby off the ship.

The story goes that Pvt. Conroy's Commanding Officer discovered Stubby not long after the Yankee Division disembarked in France, but upon hearing that the dog had trained and drilled with the soldiers, and then seeing Stubby salute, he allowed the dog to stay. When the Division was given orders to the front lines, Stubby was issued special orders that allowed him to accompany Yankee Division as their Official Mascot.

Sgt. Stubby served in the trenches of France for 18 months. Four offensives and 17 battles. He is credited with saving the entire company from a gas attack by alerting them that one had been launched. He was extremely sensitive to gas after his first exposure which sent him to the hospital where he was treated just like the human soldiers. Stubby was able to hear the whine of incoming artillery long before humans could, so he would alert so that his company could duck for cover. He located wounded American Soldiers in No Man's Land and was solely responsible for capturing a German Spy in Argonne.

I find it interesting that your George Dwyer may have very well had his life saved by an American Canine Hero and he probably had his hands on him too!!

Here are some links about Sgt. Stubby, who just happens to be in the Smithsonian Museum in Washington, DC.

http://amhistory.si.edu/militaryhistory/collection/object.asp?ID=15

http://www.ct.gov/mil/cwp/view.asp?a=1351&q=257892

http://www.governorsfootguard.com/stubby/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergeant_Stubby

With the amount of research done on Yankee Division as a result of Sgt. Stubby's heroism, it should make it much easier to track down more information about George Dwyer's time in the Military.

Now you need to go through immigration records to trace George's father back to your village and then check your records on your side to establish the family ties.

I met some Veterans of the Yankee Division while visiting the Old Soldier's Home in Connecticut with my dog. They loved my dog and she was given a WWII Yankee Division Patch by one of the Veterans who served in that Division. When I was going to Washington, DC to a K9 Trial with a bunch of Police Dogs I had helped train, the Veterans asked me to stop into the Smithsonian to visit Sgt. Stubby in "The Price of Freedom - Americans at War" exhibit and take a picture of my Birdie with Sgt. Stubby, so I did.

I noticed that his cemetery is in Pinellas County, which is where I live. I'm not familiar with the name.

Sylvan Abbey Memorial Park and Funeral Home
    2853 Sunset Point Road
    Clearwater, FL 33759

Phone: (727) 796-1992

Best,

Hugh

Edited by Hugh

Hoyden R.

Previously provided this information:

George Robert Dwyer was buried on 28 March 1960

His Grave is located in Garden West, Lawn B

Lot 283, Space 1 Sylvan Abbey Memorial Park

2853 Sunset Point Road

Clearwater, FL 33759

Going to give them a ring and beg for a piccie for a donation to the Legion or Red Cross.

Then planning to frame up the entire collection and get it up on the wall in my study.

Got to look after and treasure the only USA medal group I will ever own.

So.... trying to track down where Mr. Dwyer was born, so I hop into the social security death index.

This may or may not be your George Robert Dwyer. One of two George Dwyers who died in Florida in 1960. The other was born in 1915.

Name: George Dyer
    SSN: 560-05-9035 Born: 13 May 1898 Died: Sep 1960 State (Year) SSN issued: California (Before 1951)

1940 Census information:

Interesting to note that it says he was born in CT in column 15, but in Column 16 it notes "American citizen born abroad". That's a typo because it shows all those born in the US as "born abroad" when you highlight the column.

Name: George R Duyer [George R Dwyer]

Respondent: Yes

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1899

Race: White

Birthplace: Connecticut

Marital Status: Married

Relation to Head of House: Head

Home in 1940: Ridgefield, Bergen, New Jersey

Map Street: Marian Place

House Number: 906

Farm: No

Inferred Residence in 1935: Ridgefield, Bergen, New Jersey

Residence in 1935: Same Place

Resident on farm in 1935: No

Citizenship: American Citizen Born Abroad

Sheet Number: 62A

Number of Household in Order of Visitation: 167

Industry: Curffer & Co

House Owned or Rented: Owned

Value of Home or Monthly Rental if Rented: 7000

Attended School or College: No

Highest Grade Completed: High School, 4th year

Hours Worked Week Prior to Census: 40

Class of Worker: Wage or salary worker in private work

Weeks Worked in 1939: 52

Income: 1560

Income Other Sources: Yes

Neighbors: View others on page

Household Members: Name Age George R Duyer 41

Ruth Duyer 43

1940UnitedStatesFederalCensusForGeorgeRD

Edited by Hoyden R.

Here is the 1930 Census. Note that he reports that his parents were born in the Irish Free State

Name: George R Dwyer [George R Dinger]

Birth Year: abt 1899

Home in 1930: Ridgefield, Bergen, New Jersey

Map of Home: View Map

Marital Status: Married

Relation to Head of House: Head

Spouse's Name: Ruth P Dwyer

Father's Birthplace: Ireland

Mother's Birthplace: Ireland

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace:
    Household Members: Name Age George R Dwyer 31 Ruth P Dwyer 33 Mary E Blake 61

1930UnitedStatesFederalCensusForGeorgeRD

Edited by Hoyden R.

1910 Census with his parents names and the dates they immigrated:

Name: George Dwyer [George Duger]

Age in 1910: 12

Birth Year: abt 1898

Home in 1910: Hartford Ward 9, Hartford, Connecticut

Relation to Head of House: Son

Marital Status: Single

Father's Name: Thomas Dwyer

Father's Birthplace: Ireland

Mother's Name: Elizabeth Dwyer

Mother's Birthplace: Ireland

1910UnitedStatesFederalCensusForGeorgeDw

Edited by Hoyden R.

Hoyden

thank you so much for adding all this information the census returns are fantastic!

I don't think the draft card is my man, wrong DOB and no middle initial?

Once again thank you so much for adding to the story.

Best regards

Paul

Edited by kingsman64

I can't locate him on the 1920 census, so I am going to try to track down his parents to see if he was living with them.

I want to find him on the 1900 census to get more info on his parents and maybe some immigration records for them.

I did note that there are at least two other George Dwyers born in CT within a 5 year range around your George Dwyer. I think the one born down in Fairfield County is the one whose WWI draft card that I posted above.

I sent a message off to a friend of mine who is a member of the CT Governor's Foot Guard to see if he'd be willing to do a little digging in the Guard's archives because they have some records and copies of records of the Yankee Division. I am going to owe him a turn of the century dog replica dog collar for that favor, lol!

Everything in the State WW1 records is exactly as already posted in the first thread.

I am looking for things not posted, pictures, written accounts etc. I was told they have some things that Soldiers of the Yankee Division and their families left to the Foot Guard as part of their history.

I'm kinda hoping they turn up a few more pictures of Mr. Dwyer.