News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I need some help from a medal expert please - The attached photo is a Metropolitan police constable wearing the 1902 & 1911 coronation medals and on the opposite side an unknown medal.

I have seen a number of group photos with early 19th century constables/sergeants and officers wearing this medal but never a studio portrait of a single officer wearing one.

Can anyone help or any ideas ?

Alex

the position would indicate a Life Saving Medal (blue ribbon), but the close up is not clear enough to see details which may be of help to decide upon which Life Saving Society

Edited by Odulf

Odulf is probably correct, as the medal - not being awarded by the monarch - would be worn on the right chest. The difficulty in viewing the medals details does not help but it does look like the ribbon is of a plain colour.

Therefore this could possibly be the Royal Humane Society Bronze Medal which was introduced in 1837.

You can check out their website, look at the images and make your own mind up? -www.royalhumanesociety.org.uk

Apparently they have a link to a list of recipients, which may assist.

Good luck

Edited by Polsa999

Hi Alex,

I would agree it is a life saving medal awarded by a Society such as the Royal Humane Etc. I have only ever seen one medal with the suspension bar so close to the actual medal and that is the Stanhope medal, however, the medal in the photo does not depict the half circle effect on the suspender. My best guess would be it is a jewellers mounted medal of the Society of the Protection of Life from Fire, this sports a dark Red ribbon. But it is just a guess.

Peter

As you can see, all but one of the group are wearing this medal. Maybe it's a type of local medal given to celebrate the 1911 coronation? - unless they were all awarded for some form of joint gallantry.

Thanks

Alex

I would say it is most likely the Society of the Protection of Life from Fire Medal which would be worn on the right hand breast. The medal usually had a scroll suspender and a top buckle clasp - the suspender was changed later to a straight suspender - I have seen early 1930 issues that had a different (non scroll) suspender. The men with a single medal on their left breasts could be wearing the 1911 Coronation (Police) Medal.

Also I notice that the man who appears not to have this award has a medal with several bars on it after his Coronation / Jubilee Medals (Boer War / IGS 1895?). This would suggest the picture was taken after 1911 and near the start of WWI. Queen Victoria placed her Jubilee Medals before campaign medals - it was only in WWI that George V changed the order of wear and put the Jubilee / Coronation Medals after Campaign Medals.

Edited by Odin Mk 3

Interesting photo. I cannot make out the divisional letter on the collars or helmets are they all the same ? I go with Mervyn the flag in the background suggests the 1911 Coronation, and the medal may be a local corporation coronation medal?