News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Funding the IRA.

In late 1919 Sinn Fein began to gear up for a war to take over Ireland. One of the first steps they took, besides organizing, was to attempt to garnish funds. As ever, their allies in the USA, a group of largely Irish immigrants centered around large cities, supplied cash, moral support and passion.

I found this at my local flea market under a book that I literally picked up off the table for my cousin Rick (A History of Chelmsford in World War Two with biographies and medals awarded, a massive tome...mine for a mere $10). My hand literally trembled as I reached down for it amidst the old tax receipts from Boston and 100 year old Valentines cards....

This is one of the bonds sold by the IRA in its American campaign for support. Sold via the IRB and AOH, as well as advertised in newspapers, the IRA raised millions of US $ for their war. I got this for $1.....my find of the year.

Guest Rick Research

Quite ancient, at 1920 too. Wonder who ever collected on those? :speechless1:

In my youth, every Oirish barbershop had a huge glass jar with a slit lid, kept full of change for the Kennedy (yes, THEM) Kollection for the IRA. Nice irony, huh? Every single one had a $20 bill apparently permanently mounted sticking up in the middle pour encourager les autres.

How much of that ever got to murderous gangsters and how much went straight into the pockets of the posthumously sanctified degenerate moron Teddy, only the chisellers involved know.

Chelmsford, eh? :jumping::cheers:

yup. Chelmsford.

well, if the NORAID receipts are anything to go by, about 20 percent.

It's in terrible condition, but hey, it's a brilliant piece of history and I reckon Sinn Fein would advocate payment of this debt, despite their recent advocacy for repudiation of every other "Anglo" debt.

Note that it is payable in gold.

Is it written out to William Plunkett?

One of these days I will get all my Great grandfather's papers and journals. He was a member of the IRA, left Ireland, was kicked out of the US for bootlegging, so he bought a farm in Nova Scotia and continued his boot legging operations.

I've heard bits and tales of what he did in the IRA, but one thing I know for sure, that man could set a charge like nobody's business. I saw him set charges and blast rocks out of the side of a hill without damaging the barn above it or the crops below it.

• 2 years later...

Did people in the states get a little badge saying "I donated-january 1903" ... Otherwise I see a guy going into the barber shop, having to drop a $20... then going for a beer.... "Have you donated?" ... "Yes!" ..."Don't believe you... put a 20 in the jar or we kneecap you!"... and going home having left 5 times $20 in a day....