News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

St.George'ish looking cross - What is it?

Auseklis

This cross was dug up some time ago by a friend. It shows some features, that look like a St.George, but otherwise... I would appreciate your opinion on this item. Please excuse the bad pictures, but that is all I got. Size is about 29,5mm.

Most likely this is a miniature badge from St. George's Weapon "For Gallantry" .

The St. George's Weapon was an additional award associated with the Order of St. George.

An officer could be bestowed with a gold saber, inscribed "For Gallantry" and marked with a small enamel St. George cross and with the black and orange St. Geroge's ribbon for the sword knot. High ranking officers, such as generals or admirals could receive the St. George's Weapon with inset diamonds as an added distinction. The gold weapon was an independent award, not an extra class within the order, but holders of the golden weapon were considered holders of the order.

Some additional info can be found here

http://aarticles.net/culture-art-history/11413-za-kakie-otlichiya-v-rossii-nagrazhdali-oruzhiem.html

P.S. Can't vouch for authenticity of this piece though ...

Yes, this is the Badge I also came up with. Maybe a late WW1 version of this badge?

But.. I noticed that on my pictures 1 and 4, that the cross seems to have remnants of a suspension ring or something (on the lower side of the picture). I will ask for a better picture of this area.

The finder provided more pictures from the backside of the item. To me it looks like a broken suspension ring + a missing screw?

I asked him about his oppinion on the metal type of the item. He answered that the item showed no cupric acetate when he found it. The ring bolted around the medaillon is gold by his oppinion.