News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Premier-Lieutenant Albert Freiherr von Schrenck von Notzing (German-Eastafrica)

Hello Forums member,

today I like to show you this nice photo of Premier-Lieutenant Albert Freiherr von Schrenck von Notzing. He served in the Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 34 until 10th. december 1891. From that date until 24th. August 1896, he served in the 4th company of the kaiserliche Schutztruppe for German-Eastafrica.

He took part on the battle of Moschi/ Kilimandjaro (12th.august 1893) and received for his participation on that battle the KO4x

As we can see, he also received the following decorations of Tunesia and Zanzibar (!!):

TNJft3

ZstSt2c

Did Premier-Lieutenant Albert Freiherr von Schrenck von Notzing receive more decorations after his service in Africa?? What happend with him after 1896?

And the most important question: Is it possible to find out when he got the TNJft3 and for what reason??

Hope you like that photo also like me :jumping:

Best wishes

Karsten

Karsten,

In 1913 he was living in Leipzig as a Dr. med. He disappears after 1896- presumably he left the army and went to medical school. He was born 04.07.1860. When I get home from work, I'll check his earlier career for clues to the Tunesian award (if someone does not beat me to it!)

Andy

Guest Rick Research

Dr. med. Albert Ph. Fr. Frh. v. Schrenck-Notzing (so his entry reads) "Schriftsteller" died in München 12.02.29. This from the "Nekrolog" of the 1935 "Wer Ist's?" since previous edition of 1928, which I don't have.

He is a bit confusing, this one. The 1909 Gotha confirms he was a medical doctor and former Schutztruppen Company Leader but the 1914 Reichsmedizinalkalender which shows him in München, lists no decorations and appears to show him qualifying as a medical doctor in 1888. The 1928 "wer ists" does not even mention any military service?

Glenn

Guest Rick Research

I'm wondering if there were TWO Barons being conflated here by the :banger: stupefyingly idiotic German practice of never listing first names?

KO4X 18.12.93 to Nameless Baron S-N, German East Africa. In the 1905 Ordensliste repeated as "formerly Company Commander" BUT

Johanniter-Ehrenritter 26.07.97 at that time to Dr, Baron S-N in Munich.

The 1905 periodic Ordensliste has TWO entries as if for TWO people. Were "they"...two... or was this an inevitable result of the idiotic No-first-name system?

How the heck COULD a Schutztruppn officer HAVE "qualified" for return as a "practicing physician?"

Military Baron S-N was apprently the SekLt 14.02.85 in Feldart Rgt 26 (1888 Vollständige).

Since Schutztruppen officers weren't listed in the army OR naval rank lists 1890s :banger: ... did "Zanzibar" just... DIE soon after 1896, and the doctor was Some Other Guy?

Edited by Rick Research

Now that makes sense. There appears to have been a hideous mix-up in many of the period publications.

Franz Albert Philibert Wilhelm born 4 July 1860 is listed as an Oberleutnant a.D. in the Gotha.

Dr. Albert Philibert Franz born 18 May 1862 (the eminent psychiatrist) is unfortunately listed as a retired Schutztruppen Kompanie-Führer!!!!

Regards

Glenn

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: So! It's not bad enough they omitted first names, then they invisibly used the same names for more than one of 'em! :angry::violent:

Thus leaving us with: per the CORRECT 1905 Ordensliste, FAPW was (as far as they knew) alive in 1905. So when did "Zanzibar" (let's just call HIM that! :cheeky: ) die? No WW1 service per the Ehren-Rangliste....

Very curious...

...hope it´s still possible to find out something more about him, especially about his tunesian award. It would be interesting to know for what he got his tunesian award because as he joined the "Schutzttruppe", he already had the tunesian decoration.

Best wishes

Karsten

Karsten,

He received permission to war the Tunisian award in mid-December 1888 (see MWB 1888 Spalte 2286). A Stabarzt d. Landwehr Dr. Hugo Kleist (*17.11.1842) of Berlin received the same award at the same time. Dr. Kleist also had the EK2w and PKrO4mSchww for 1866.

This is why these two men received the award-

http://books.google.de/books?id=4m4xAQAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=intitle:tunis+inauthor:kleist&hl=en&sa=X&ei=14kvUqqPF-Xh4APiyIHADw&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

For those who can't follow the link, they published a book in 1888 with the title: "Tunis und seine Umgebung. Ethnographische Skizzen." Tunis and its surroundings- ethnographic sketches.

He entered the 3. GRzF as an Einj. Freiw. on 01.04.1879, was released to the reserves on 07.07.1879. He reentered the army on 01.11.1880 in 2. GFAR. Leutn. 16.09.1881. 24.03.1890 transferred to FAR 34 and then into the Sch.Tr. f. DOA 10.12.1891.

Andy

Edited by arb