News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

the only pre-war-award of BrH4x to Oberveterinär Wilhelm Bertram

Hello members,

I think it could be interesting for you to see the only pre-war-award of BrH4x. The recipient was Oberveterinär Wilhelm Bertram.

He served form 1905-1908 in German-Southwestafrica and was member of the "2. Ersatzbatterie" of the "II. Feld-Artillerie-Abteilung".

In 1907 he received the following decorations:

DSWA-Denkm.

KO4Xw

BrH4x (the only pre-war-award!)

In 1914 is Bertram listed as a "Veterinäroffizier der Reserve" in "Landwehrbezirk Sangerhausen".

Best wishes

Karsten

Edited by Leutwein

Wilhelm Bertram was born on 7 September 1876 in Ahlshausen, Kreis Gandersheim, Herzogtum Braunschweig. The BrH4X was awarded on 1 July 1908.

He was awarded the Iron Cross 2nd Class and the Braunschweig War Merit Cross in 1915 as Oberveterinär d.R., Magazin-Fuhrpark-Kolonne 7.

Edited by Dave Danner

Hello Claudius,

some veterinarians came in contact with the enemy. I will post soon the interesting history of Stabsveterinär aD Paul Tuche =)

Hello Dave,

thanks a lot for those infos and the correction of the award-date. :beer:

Best wihes

Karsten

At the time of his pre-war awards, he was still a military official; veterinarians not being accorded the status of officers until 1 April 1910. And in fact as a reservist at this time, Herr Bertram did not convert to officer status until 16 June 1911 with a Patent as an Oberveterinär of 22.11.04

Glenn

Hello Claudius,

some veterinarians came in contact with the enemy. I will post soon the interesting history of Stabsveterinär aD Paul Tuche =)

My cat comment was in no way a slight against veterinarians or the work they do. Especially during wartime, caring for horses that have no idea why their otherwise kind masters have lead them to these harsh areas.

My cat comment was in no way a slight against veterinarians or the work they do. Especially during wartime, caring for horses that have no idea why their otherwise kind masters have lead them to these harsh areas.

:beer:

I also did not understand that.

As you know, it was normally that a veterinarian serves in the back area and does not take part on campaigns. But there were always exceptions and one of them was Stabsveterinär Paul Tuche. Please follow the Link:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/59827-oberstabsveterinaer-ad-paul-tuche/

Best wishes

Karsten