News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

This 10 placer is interesting and unusual because it comprises southern style mounting technique upon a buckram body, so flexible in wear, not easy for a manufacturer to make and get right too! So a lot of work went into creating this piece.

Attachable to uniform by some little clips. Two original one period replacement.

Miniature devices are good quality and highly detailed.

What makes this one more interesting than most is the impressive enamel cross slap bang in the centre. Which is the Cross of Sovereign Military Hospitaller Order of St. John of Jerusalem of Rhodes and of Malta. Which is a Roman Catholic religious order, the oldest surviving order for chivalry.

Would like opinions on this piece and any info regarding the Order of St John and why it ended up here :)

Guest Rick Research

Very interesting indeed. I'm not sure what the ribbon is with silvers Xs after the Malta--what are the exact colors? And the one before the Hindenburg--is that a Greek Redeemer with silver crown?

(I am--miraculously--back online though for how long again TODAY only the Internet Gods may foretell....)

Guest Rick Research

Doh! That's got to be the Catholic/Vatican-approved Sovereign Order of MALTA with Xs. Don't believe that to be "proper" but indicative of a military-division as worn by this fellow.

Guest Rick Research

Daniel has him with an HT, but otherwise this seems a perfect match for Major aD (Ulan Rgt 6) Ernst Adolf von Papen (*1878)... ????

Guest Rick Research

Excellent--pale blue looks white in scan. Entirely improper device, then, but a perfect match to E. A. von Papen. Assuming 9after another 7 hours unable to connect online) I ever CAN get back, more data on him when I return--or from comrades if I do not (starting to wonder on Day Two)....

Guest Rick Research

SekLt 24.05.98 Q2q

OberLt 27.01.09 Q3q

Rittmeister as from 1914 Rank List here:

he had just left the Leibgendarmerie when decorated with KO4 on return to his regiment:

Guest Rick Research

GE4 1901/02

M3 1909/10

SA3b 1912/13

HOH3X gazetted in MWB 31.10.18

Except for his brief Leibgendarmerie service around 1912 seems always to have been in Ulan Rgt 6 before the war. No clue during the war--a HT is a mystery.

Now to find a photo of him as char. Major aD wearing your oddly non-regulation ribbon bar on his Ulanka!

? Brother of the Chancellor?....

Guest Rick Research

You could never have too many middle names! The 1908/09 Deutscher Ordens-Almanach:

Don't be confused by the DtOrdAlm's own peculir abbreviations for classes of awards--just about every source back then had its own system. Research Gnomes use the Prussian army system for uniformity. This "Ge3b" was a "GE4."

Sorry for the disjointed narratives today--having internet problems and wanted to get in as much as possible as quickly as possible.