News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

'New' old titles and honours in Canadian Army

Just saw a short article in Legion Magazine - possibly old news to some here - that along with the Canadian Air Force and Canadian Navy regaining their "Royal" prefix, the Canadian Army is [re]adopting rank pips, crowns and swords to replace the current system of cuff stripes of various widths and number. In addition, private soldiers will be referred to as 'gunner', 'trooper', 'fusileer', etc. and 2nd Lts will be 'Ensigns' while WOs will revert to 'Colour Sergeants'. Well done, that government department!

God bless tradition and all who sail in her.

Peter

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Oh God--you're not getting ready to invade us again, are you? Just TAKE Detroit, please! :o

But seriously: psychologically interesting, isn't it, that in a "present" so dull and well, DULL... seems as if everybody is regressing to an ever dimly nostalgic Better Past.

The U.S. Army--and this is disturbing at a number of levels for a whole range of reasons--has chosen to revert to the foppish 19th century blues of our :speechless1: Indian Wars period. The Soviets Russians are out Tsarist-ing the Romanovs....

I can't believe that your "leaders" (any more than ours :banger: ) are suddenly well-informed and sensitive to matters of tradition and (Gasp!) pride. It must be... accidental.

Does this mean the Brits are going to reconsider abolishing their heroic Scots regimental distinctions and void "Reiment Number 1, Regiment Number 2..." or...

is all of this as basic as Somebody In Power's Brother-In-Law has gotten the re-equipment contract?

Rick

Accidental for sure! Plus, new name tags is way cheaper than replacements for our 55 year old SAR helicopters and submarines we're pretty sure will submerge but not at all sure will surface. :banger:

Naw, we beat you in 1812-14 and decided to quit while we were ahead. And we know we won 'cause we captured Detroit early in the war and made you take it back again at the end! :cheeky:

• 8 months later...

In my province, New Brunswick, the Regiment that my grandfather served with fron 1920 until the conclusion of WWII is reverting back to it's original name.. the North Shore ( N.B. ) Regiment. I know my grandfather, also a WWI veteran, would approve.

Mike

Some of us in South Africa hoped that when this country rejoined the Commonwealth at least some of the anti-British changes in the military would be undone. Perhaps even the 'Royal' would be restored to my favourite regiment, the Natal Carbineers (see my avatar). No such luck! The new 'Democratic' government rejoined the Commonwealth for the hand-outs. Sentiment, tradition and loyalty to Queen had nothing to do with it.

Brett