News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

RAD Oberstfeldmeister, a very nice snapshot

A photo from my RAD collection, showing a Reichsarbeitsdienst Oberstfeldmeister at ease. On the table a very nice tea or coffee cup (which I would not mind to have in my collection), but the puzzle for me is in the cross that dangles next to his EK1. What could this be and why should he wear it in this manner?

Edited by Odulf

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: I would say that is the Prussian Golden Military Merit Cross-- the Pour le Merite for enlisted men. It started to be a fashion in the Third Reich to wear that from the buttonhole--never like HE is though :shame: just to not "lose" it in a medal bar.

I have never checked PrGMVK recipients against the junior RAD officers Dienstaltersliste--I will do that today.

Edited by Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

I was HOPING this would be easier than it turned out to be, but no such luck. That's the problem with Imperial enlisted men.

There are no awards given in the R.A.D. Seniority Lists :banger: and nobody with a truly weird enough name to "know" that had to be THE one. For instnce, there was an Oskar Beyer who got the PrGMVK as a medical NCO...but no way to determine from what I have (Ptazwall's PrGMVK list) if he was the Oskar Beyer who was an R.A.D. Oberstfeldmeister in 1938.

Even if his arm shield showed numbers, that might have been a help. Oh well!!!!

Thanks Rick for this identification, that could explain the prominent place of this decoration.

When I aquired this photo I made a note on the reverse, that he belonged to Arb.Gr. 1/87 (stationed near Crossen a/Oder)

• 6 years later...

Hello Odulf,

Do you happen do have in your RAD collection any picture of Wilhelm Alfried August Ruschmann? All the information I have about him is: "Kapitan, Tropenlandwirt, Generalarbeitsführer". Thank you.